I have a question about the signs of pregnancy and ovulation

My periods are very normal and I can time them perfectly down to the day. Every month I have a period that lasts between 5-7 days. 14 days after my my period I ovulate and the very next day my breasts will be sore and remain sore until I start my period again the next month. On August 1st I started my period. It was really light and only lasted 3 days. According my calculations I should have started ovulating on the 14th, which would mean that the next day my breasts would be sore. Well, its now the 18, I have not ovulated and my breasts are not sore at all. Now ever since I can remember, sore breasts are just a sign that my period is coming. I took a pregnancy test to see if I am pregnant, but it came up negative.... is it possible that I am pregnant and I took the test early? But if that is the case then I would have had to of gotten pregnant last month during my last ovulation date.... shouldn't the test have picked up that I am pregnant? Or does this mean that I am really not pregnant and something is wrong with me and I just stopped ovulating? My periods have always been normal and I can always time them with great accuracy.

Thank you

Jazarave, I'm so thrilled for you - congratulations!!

Just wanted to let you guys, I took an HPT and I am pregnant. I am shocked to know that I understood my body so well that I could pretty much figure out right away what was going on. Anyway I wanted to tell you thanks for all your great information!

Thank you for the great info! :) We never really thought of having kids because we are usually really busy and well just never really talked about it. But we recently have and thought that it would be a great if we did have one.
Thank you so much! :)

If you have been having unprotected sex regularly, then you could very well be pregnant.

As Susan said, the home pregnancy tests can not actually detect the pregnancy hormones until you have missed a period. This is because it takes up to 14 days to actually become pregnant after you ovulate...about the time your period should be starting. Since you sound like you "know" your body pretty well, you may be interested in the details:
1. Ovulation occurs when you release an egg from your ovary, and if you had unprotected sex previously or that day, there may be sperm "waiting" for the egg. The egg is fertilized by the sperm in your fallopian tube.
2. The fertilized or unfertilized egg takes days to travel from the fallopian tube to your uterus. If the egg is fertilized, it takes a few more days to implant itself into your uterus, where "pregnancy hormones" are then released into your body.
3. When enough of these hormones are released, then the home pregnancy test is able to detect enough of the hormones to give you a positive result...this entire process can take 10-14 days.

I also have not yet met a woman who "knew" exactly when she ovulated, so I am surprised by your awareness of your body. I don't mean to add doubt, but I did just want to make sure that you know: our bodies are great, but they sometimes do not work like "clock-work" due to any number of reasons. It does not mean anything is wrong, just that you could have missed the slight discomfort from an egg being released at the exact moment of ovulation...or if you had an illnesses, new medication, excess stress...many different reasons can cause your cycle to be "off" by a few days.

Since you have been having unprotected sex for 6 years, and are interested in having children, have you ever talked with your doctor about infertility testing for you or your partner? If you've assumed you could not have kids, does this mean your partner assumed the same thing? If so, how will he feel about you being pregnant?

I assume you are expecting your period on August 28th? If you do not get your period, then you can take a home pregnancy test at that time...please let us know how it goes!

I forgot, to answer you last question, yes, I would like to get pregnant.

Actually I am 30, and I am very regular and have been since I started my period when I was 9 years old. I have not taken birth control since I was 24, when I was on it, I had a period every single day..... that didn't work well with me.... so I just quit taking them. But yes, my periods are like clock work... Every month, I feel my ovulation I get a slight pain in my side and the very next day by breasts are very sore. This month that didn't happen So I am 99% sure I did not ovulate. My periods are 28 days exactly. Yes I have had unprotected sex and have been for like 6 years (with the same guy :) ) and never have gotten pregnant. I just assumed I could not have kids. So this is kind of a shock to me and I am trying to figure out what is going on. I have read that if you have light bleeding that could be a sign of implantation bleeding so I was wondering if that was what I had on the 1st of August and that I am pregnant but like I said when I took that test it said negative.

Thank you for answering my question, I am really concerned about what my body is doing! :)

Dear jazarave

Thanks for your question - if you got your period (even a light one) on August 1st, you did not get pregnant the month before.

It's probably too early to take a test accurately - you may want to wait until around August 23rd or 24th, if you are certain you're due again on the 28th (assuming you have a 28 cycle since you are so regular). Most tests don't pick up on hCG (the pregnancy hormone) until 3-5 days before your period is due.

Sore breasts don't mean too much - they are also a strong sign of pregnancy!

If you are over age 35, your cycle may be naturally changing anyway, especially if you are close to 40. Ovarian function starts to change in the average woman at the age of 38.

If you are under 20, your cycle may also be changing. How long have you had your period? Is it well-established?

Are you having unprotected sex? If so you could be a week or so pregnant. If you are protected, then you're probably fine since a minor change of breast condition in the month could mean anything/nothing. Are you looking to become pregnant?