I have a really sore nipple withsome pain in thesame breast area.

By January 20, 2015 - 2:53pm

Even though I breastfed my last child 26 years ago, I continued to leak breast "milk", it has been tested over the years...and it's just been milk.
But just the last week it's been very painful. I've had breast reduction 25 years ago and my nipples "sunk", and no longer pop out. Also had a hysterectomy, about 8 yrs ago..
Last mammogram, things were fine...What could this be..?

Thank-you for your quick response Susan. I was surprised to think I could still get that type of breast infection.... I have been applying warm compresses on the breast hoping that will help ! But will see a doctor as soon as its possible.
Thank-you again...

Hi Rainy

Thank you for your question and welcome! 

You may have an infection. Is your breast area warm to the touch? If so, an infection may well be the case. If not, you still may have an infection that warrants a checkup. 

Breast infections are known as Mastitis. This is inflammation of the breast and is seen almost exclusively in women. It is especially common among women who are breastfeeding. Mastitis usually affects only one breast, but may affect both breasts. Since you are still lactating, this may be the case with you, Anon. 

Mastitis occurs when a milk duct in the breast becomes blocked, or the skin around the breast nipple becomes cracked. Both of these situations allow bacteria to enter and infect the breast tissue. Causes of mastitis include pregnancy, breastfeeding, tuberculosis , skin rashes, or, rarely, breast cancer . We will focus on symptoms and treatment of lactation-associated mastitis.

A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition.

Risk factors include:

• Previous mastitis
  • Abrasion or cracking of the breast nipple
  • Wearing a bra or clothing that is too tight
  • Missed breastfeeding
  • Irregular breastfeeding

Rainy, your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and examine your breast. If the diagnosis is uncertain, or if mastitis recurs, your doctor may order the following tests:

If an infection is not the case, then you doctor can talk to you more about possible reasons why this is happening. 

Will you make an appointment and let us know how it goes?

Breast Infection