Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: I have a sharp needle like pain in my left nipple. What could it be please?

Anonymous

hi..I am a 38 yr old woman and am happily married with a teenage daughter.Just recently i have had sharp needle like pain in my left breast that is unbearable and i seem to cant lie on them.For days i have not been getting a good night sleep and this is really getting worse.My left nipple became very itchy and a day after i realised that my left breast was numb.I really need some help because i had gone to the hospital and they gave me some tablets which really didnt do much but caused alot of discomfort...Today i noticed a lump on my left side under my underarm.HELP PLEASE!!???

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anytime you find a lump you need to call your doctor to have it examined. Most lumps are harmless but they ALL must be checked out either way.

Please call your doctor for an appointment and update us!

~Susan

Thanks for your question! We need more information from you - how old are you? How long has this been going on? Have you noticed anything other than the pain? Is it there all the time or just now and again? Are you doing anything in particular when the pain happen? Exercising? Sleeping? Lying or sitting a particular way?

Your question is actually quite common here on EmpowHER. Take a look at these threads and read it carefully and tell us what you think - http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/strange-painburning-nipples

and

http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/strange-painburning-nipples

Let me know what you think!

~Susan

Dear Susan, The other information I can offer is regarding the continued query to my nipple pain is..... I am a 48 year old female. I had a beautiful daughter when I was 40 by C section and never breast fed through choice. I do not take any contraception
( oral ) and my partner and I have painfree active sex life. I am healthy, I carry out gentle exercise and walk rather than anything to energetic. I have started skipping a period so one every two months, this has been for about the last 8 months. I do nothing unusual before this pain starts and it has been only really the last week it has started and in that not all day and not everyday. It is only in the one breast. ( left ) I am right handed.
Hope this helps? Appreciate your responce as soon as poss as a bit worried. Thank you. Katie

Hi Katie

Thanks for your update. Congratulations on your daughter!

It sounds like you are entering either perimenopause or menopause itself with skipped periods and changes in your hormonal makeup. This may also account for the nipple pain. Your best bet is a visit to the doctor for testing - namely your hormones. You'll know by these tests whether you're heading toward menopause.

Obviously let your doctor know about your nipple pain. She will probably do a physical exam to look for discharge, or any small lumps or anything unusual. This is a standard test so nothing to worry about! Your doctor (go to your gynecologist rather than a general physician) can advise you further from there. There are too many variables for us to be able to give you further ideas on what may be going on.

Did you read the links I sent you, from other women with the same kind of pain? Did you find any information there that could help you?

boofsmom (reply to Susan Cody)

I read your answers here, and want to ask a couple questions. My pain is very similar. I am 43. I had a daughter at 21 (normal birth), and a son at 37 (emergency c-section). I take b/c pills continuously for endometriosis (no periods for about 10 years, except when we were trying to get pregnant, which took less than 6 months). No discharge, no injury, nothing. Pain is usually in the left breast, but sometimes in the right. If my son accidentally pushes on me, my breasts are incredibly painful - I almost scream. Both pains have been occurring for sometime, at least 2 years. I have talked to my doctor, and had hormone tests, but nothing. I was also a VERY late bloomer (first period at 16), so I don't see any menopause for a few years yet, although I know I could be wrong. Could my pain be from my fibromyalgia? That pain tends to be less sharp, more achy, than my nipple pain. Any clues would be helpful!

Dear Susan,

Thank you for your comments I will most definatley make an appointment. One final thing...I have had for a very long time a slight liquid from my nipples ( both ) not just the one with the pain. It is not what I would call a discharge it is more a slight sticky, milky liquid but as I never breast fed I am sorry in my ignorance if I am unable to identify this as breast milk or not. Could I trouble you to comment on this thought please.

Very best regards
Katie

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Katie,
The term "discharge" describes any liquid that comes from your nipples that is unrelated to breastmilk (in lactating women). If you have a sticky, milky liquid discharge from your nipple (and you are not lactating), it is important to talk with your doctor about this symptom. There are a range of possible causes, including infection or hormone changes.

Please keep us updated!
Alison

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?:

Did you know that your Internet Browser is out of date?

We're sorry to inform you that you're using a really old web browser and we are unable to support it anymore. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below. -The EmpowHER Development Team

By closing this window, you acknowledge your experience on this website may be degraded

Close this window