Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: I have a small patch of tiny bumps on my scalp, what can it be?

I have samll patch of tiny bumps on top of my head, the size of the patch is ~7mm. It has a bunch of raised bumps, pinkish color, does not itch. I initially found it a couple fo months ago, did not seem to have changed much, althoguh it's hard to tell since it is not where I can easily see.

Hi Anonymous

You may be suffering from any number of skin conditions (your scalp is merely a continuation of your skin).

You may have scalp acne, or a kind of yeast infection that can cause all those little bumps on the scalp. Believe it or not, a yeast infection on the head is possible. You may also have a minor scalp infection.

You can increase your intake of zinc, which help with scalp health but you may need to see a dermatologist to see what's going on with your scalp. A dose of an antibiotic may be what you need. Please also bring the products you use on your head/hair like shampoos, conditioners and styling products. You may have an allergy. If you can't get a referral, see if you can get a general practitioner who has some training in skin health. While they may ultimately refer you, they also may be able to help you directly.

Additionally, try to use all natural hair care products (chemical free) and as well as zinc, increase Vitamin B in your diet and rub essential oils into your scalp once the bumps have gone.

Will you let us know the outcome?

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: