I have a stabbing pain in my right lymph node area (neck on the front-side).

By Anonymous December 11, 2009 - 4:56pm

I have had enlarged/swollen lymph nodes since I was a child. I am now 28. The pain occurs every 10 or 20 seconds and does not seem to have anything to do with swallowing. Aspirin does not seem to help. My body weight is healthy but I do not eat well (fast food junkie) I don't know if that helps or not. This pain has occurred before in my life (usually every 6 months or so since I was 25) but never in my lymph node; usually in my head or around my tail bone. Please tell me what you think...thanks!

Dear Anonymous

Thanks so much for your question and I'm sorry you are experiencing this - it sounds really painful.

You may have a "simple" case of lymphadenitis, which could be due to a virus or bacterial problem. It sounds like you may have an infection. Do you recall if you've had an infection in your nodes before? Pain is often symptomatic of an infection in the nodes.

Have you checked the color of the skin around the nodes? If it is in any way pinkish/red, you probably have an infection.

There could be any number of other reasons for this pain, from having mono or HIV or having some kind of tumor (most of these would be worst are scenarios, of course, so don't worry too much!) but an infection would be the first thing that comes to mind.

Please see your health care provider - you may need an antibiotic to help with the infection, if that's what it is, but you'll need a full examination diagnosis for this problem.

I'd like you read the following information on lymphadentis : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/chronic-lymphadenitis

I hope this helps somewhat - will you keep us posted as to how you fare?