Skin, Hair & Nails

Skin, Hair & Nails Guide

ask: I HAVE VERY VISIBLE VEINS ON MY CHEST. IS THERE ANY TREATMENT TO MAKE THEM FADE OR DISSAPEAR?

By amandaw88

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD VEINS SHOWING ON MY CHEST. I DO HAVE LIGHTER SKIN AND IT IS QUITE THIN ON MY CHEST. BUT I JUST WANTED TO SEE IF THERE IS A TREATMENT OUT THERE TO MAKE THEM NOT SO VISIBLE. IN THE SUMMER MONTHS WEARING TANK TOPS AND SWIM SUITS MAKES IT UNCOMFORTABLE.I DON'T KNOW ANY OTHER FAMILY OR FRIEND'S THAT HAVE THIS SAME ISSUE

Anonymous

I am a male but I have the same problem. I have had noticeable veins on my chest and front of my shoulders as long as I can remember. It varies from time to time I am assuming from any number of variables including; body temperature, outside temperature, diet, pigment in skin, time of day.

I have found that during the summer just getting a moderate base tan is enough to keep them concealed and during the winter I just live with it. I don't know of any other solution that is long term.

Hope this helps.

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

Hi Amanda - You may want to look into what's known as camouflage or corrective cosmetics to cover the veins that bother you. I'm most familiar with these for people with burns as well as scarring and pigment irregularities, and I think they would work well for you too. Most regular cosmetic products are too thin to cover the blue in veins, and they often don't have real staying power. Corrective cosmetics are thicker and last longer because they're formulated to cover areas and stay put while also giving a very natural appearance. The application process is sometimes different from that of regular make-up so be sure to follow the directions. I'm most familiar with Dermablend which was developed by a dermatologist and can be found in most Ulta stores. The staff will usually be able to show you exactly how it works and test colors to get your correct shade. There is a formula for varicose veins called Leg and Body Cover Creme foundation that was developed for large skin areas and is supposed to last up to 16 hours. I don't know whether or not these formulas are waterproof.

If you try this will you let us know how it works! Everyone should be able to enjoy their summer clothing in comfort and I hope you do too!
Take care, Pat

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: