I haven't had my period in 5 months.

By March 8, 2012 - 12:35pm

I haven't had my period in 5 months and I know there is no way I can be pregnant because I went to the emergency room and they ran all sorts of tests including a sonogram. I had them run all sorts of tests for other things as well like cancer, and I had them check my white count because of my lupus and everything came out to be normal. What could this mean?

I am 21 with systemic lupus. I've been on chemo for 6 1/2 years and I have been pretty stressed out lately. So what does this mean?

HERWriter Guide (reply to WerewolfBaby13)

Hi again!

Some women with lupus have what's called amenorrhea, which is the absence of periods. This may be the case with you. Also, this is a side effect of chemotherapy.

You need to discuss this with your doctor.

Best to you,

Hi werewolfbaby13

Did you have your hormone levels checked? That's very important.

Also, how old are you?

What you may have is called amenorrhea - which is the absence of periods. EmpowHer describes nonpregnant amenorrhea as resulting from a variety of factors, including an existing medical condition, lifestyle, emotional distress, hormonal irregularity, or medication. Every effort should be made to determine the exact cause. Specific causes of amenorrhea include (and some will not be related to you at all) :

◦Dramatic weight loss, particularly from drastic diets, eating disorders including anorexia and bulimia , or excessive exercise
◦Dramatic weight gain or morbid obesity
◦Birth defects including lack of a uterus, vagina, or other reproductive organs
◦Medical conditions including cystic fibrosis , Cushing's disease , polycystic ovary , or Prader-Willi syndrome
◦Psychological stress—can lead to a hormonal imbalance sufficient to cause amenorrhea.
◦Medications—some antidepressants, chemotherapeutics, corticosteroids, certain contraceptives.
◦Chromosomal abnormalities
◦Hermaphroditism (having both male and female reproductive organs)
◦Pituitary tumor
◦Thyroid dysfunction
◦Uterine scarring

Risk Factors
Women who eat a diet that doesn’t provide sufficient caloric intake, exercise excessively, or suffer under considerable psychological distress are more likely to experience amenorrhea.

Women born with chromosomal or hormonal abnormalities, as well as those who suffer from certain chronic diseases, are also more likely to experience amenorrhea.

The main symptom of primary amenorrhea is the absence of a menstrual period in girls age 16 or older. The main symptom of secondary amenorrhea is three or more missed periods in a row in a woman who has previously had a regular period.

Do any of these seem like they could be the case with you?