I hear using q tips to clean your ears is bad, is this true?

By Blogger July 8, 2014 - 5:35pm

I hear putting small objects in your ears like q-tips is bad. What do you recommend and why?

Hi Hayden

Great question! 

I use q-tips for my ear cleaning - it works well because I them every day and don't have a backup of ear wax (too much wax and the q-tip can push it back into the ear). 

I know we're not supposed to use them for ear cleaning due to this push-back issues as well as potential damage by sticking the q-tip back to far but as an adult, I know how to use them carefully. Children shouldn't use them for ear cleaning. 

So if you don't want to use q-tips, use hydrogen peroxide solution in your ears - just lay to head to the side and put a few drops in. Wait a few minutes. This solution sometimes fizzes and this is ok! Wax is dissolved quickly and your ears will be very cleans. 

A clean, warm cloth can also work. 

You can also use a wax extractor that is used for babies. You can find them at any pharmacy or baby section. There are many wax extractor kits to choose from - ask around and read reviews! 

Read all about ear wax here: 

Has this helped you?