ask: I live in South Florida. Is 45 spf ok?

I'm of Latino descent. 35 years old. I run outside 3 times a week.

Hi andrearoxy,

Welcome to EmpowHER. The SPF number lets you know how much longer you can stay out of the sun without burning. For example, if it takes 15 minutes for a person to burn, an SPF 15 will allow them to stay out in the sun 15 times longer without burning.

The American Academy of Dermatology recommends wearing an SPF of 15 or higher for maximum protection. SPF is available in levels from 2 to 60. Does highest mean the best protection? Not necessarily. An SPF of 50 only provides 1% to 2% more protection than an SPF 30.

When going out in the sun, what SPF do you put on?: