I lost my sense of smell while using Veramyst, but I am taking Singulair also, I stopped using the Veramyst after 2 weeks, I can now smell some smells, should I quit taking Singulair?

I lost my sense of smell while using Veramyst for about two weeks, but I was also taking Singulair. I thought it would come back by now since it has been about 6 or 7 months. I can now smell some smells. Should I quit taking the Singulair?

Hi Anonymous

Thanks so much for your question and for finding EmpowHER!

Losing a sense of smell is not a common side effect of Veramyst although it's certainly feasible. In fact, it is considered a rarely reported side effect.

With Singulair, it's also not a common side effect but is known to happen to some people.

Are you still taking both medications? If so, do not stop taking any medication unless you talk to your doctor first.

Between the two of you, you can evaluate the benefits of taking the medication versus the side effects. I understand how losing a sense of smell can be incredibly frustrating.

Please put a call in to your doctor and let us know your decision.

Loss of Smell

Loss of Smell Guide