i miss a week of my fist pack of birth control pills, had intecourse. now what are my chances of getting pregnant?

I miss the firt week of my birth control pills, I had intercourse during the wek, what are my chances of getting pregnant?

Missing the first week of your birth control pills is considered the worst week of pills to miss, as you have been hormone-free for 14 days. (The previous 7 days of pills while you were "menstruating" did not contain hormones; frequently called "sugar pills").

We can not begin to guess your chance of being pregnant, but choosing to have unprotected intercourse while not taking 7 pills in-a-row does increase your chances significantly of becoming pregnant.

Is this your first-ever pack of birth control pills, or have you been using the pill for several months or years?

Be sure to follow the instructions on your pill pack after your missed pills, if you plan to continue taking them. Most pills say to start-over with another pack at a certain time in your cycle after you miss more than 3 pills in-a-row; if you are confused by the instructions, a quick call to your doctor's office would be very wise. And, you will need to use an alternative form of birth control (condoms) during the first 7 days of your new pack.

Also, I wanted to tell you that if you are OK being pregnant, you want to know that birth control pills are not recommended to take while pregnant, as they may/may not harm the fetus; this would also be a question for your doctor.

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

If you've been on birth control for 9 years (and have never done this!!) and this happens is it less likely you would become pregnant?

That's a great question!

It actually may be less likely (only slightly) that a woman would get pregnant by these actions having been on the pill for years and never missing a pill before. The body would be very regulated in the sense of not ovulating and the thick cervical mucus would be well established.

Many woman have reported their cycles taking a good three months to be regular again and thus enabling them to become pregnant.

However! There is also the good possibility that a woman could ovulate by missing pills even if she has been on the Pill for twenty years! Depending on an individual person - she may be just as likely to get pregnant with a few missed pills after years of the pill than she is going off them and trying for a pregnancy.

There is no indicator to say which way it would go and a woman should not think she is safer against pregnancy if the circumstances you describe happen to her.