I missed a BCP, could I be pregnant?

By September 13, 2010 - 9:46am

I missed taking a pill the second week in my package. I have been on the pill for a year and a half now and after I missed the pill a couple days later I started getting a brown discharge for about 4-5 days. I am worried I could be pregnant? I dont think I am as I have cnotinued taking the pill and have not had unprotected sex, but i am still concerned. Any advice?

Hi curiouscarrie

Thanks for finding EmpowHER!

Since birth control pills are used to prevent pregnancy, then missing one does increase the risks. You didn't mention if you made up the pill so I'll assume you did not. The discharge may have been breakthrough bleeding from skipping that pill but since you have continued taking your pill and have not had any unprotected sex, it's highly unlikely that you could get pregnant.

I hope this helps and thanks for your question,

Thank you for your response. UNfortunately it was dropped down the drain, that is the reason for my concern. I also read that discharge can also be left over from the previous period as I have had this before I was sexually active. I feel that as I have been on the pill so long that I have built up a sort of immunity that even though it is increased by missing one pill, I have protected myself with not having unprotective sex. It is just a little stressful and worrisome. Thank you for your response. WISH ME LUCK!