I missed my last two birth control pills in week three (Friday and Saturday). I did not use any alternative form of contraception. What is the risk of me becoming pregnant?

By October 5, 2009 - 10:02am

Thanks for the update. At this stage there is nothing you can do (unless it was under 3 days ago - then Plan B would be an option but it's most effective when taken as early as possible). Ask your pharmacist if Plan B might still be effective for you since it's Monday.

If it isn't, you'll just have to play the waiting game for now, unfortunately (and Plan B is no guarantee.) Week 3 is a tricky time to miss pills. But any two missed pills (that are not made up) do run you the risk of ovulation. Take a pregnancy test, as I said, if you are late but since you're in week 4 now, you should not have to wait too long.

I wish I could be more definitive for you but it's impossible in these scenarios. Also, a good idea is to always have condoms in your purse. I know missing pills can happen - we're all human! But having a backup is a must!

Good luck - I hope you get your period soon!

Thank you so much for the response:
I did not make up for the missed pills. I was busy with work and I did not realize until yesterday. I was not sure what I was supposed to do. I am on Microgestin 1/20.
I will be sure to keep you all updated.

Hi jj

Thanks for your question! You risk of pregnancy is elevated - if you didn't make up for the missed pills. Did you? Missing two and then taking them as directed, along with your regular pills, should not elevated your risk (although check with your particular brand, most have the same instructions but not all). But if you didn't make them up, you leave yourself open to ovulation. The only way you'll know is to wait and then take a pregnancy test if you don't get your period. In the meantime, continue to take your pills as directed.

Will you keep us updated?