I missed a pill in the 3rd week

By February 26, 2010 - 8:48am

Hi, I had sex on Sunday (day 15) and I missed a pill on Thursday (day 19). I took the pill as soon as I remembered, which was within 12 hours. I am on alesse and I have been on it for about 3 years. Is there a chance that I could be pregnant?

Hi Bellamy - and welcome!

Missing one pill on week three of Alesse and taking it as soon as your remember (in your case, about 12 hours) and then continuing to take your pills on time, should not increase your risk of pregnancy - especially since the missed pill was four days after you had sex. While sperm can stay alive in a woman's body for several days, four day old sperm is a very low risk.

Don't fret - the Pill is not a 100% guarantee but your risk is as low as if you didn't miss that pill at all.

As I said, only abstinence offers a NO PREGNANCY GUARANTEE! But your risk is minimal. Let us know when you get your period!