I missed a pill and had sex the next day. I took 2 pills a few hours later. Could I be pregnant?

I have been on the pill, Yasmin, for 3 months. I missed the pill (usually taken at 8am) yesterday (day 3 of the second week of 'active pills') and had unprotected sex this morning. At noon today I realized what I had done and took 2 pills. Is there a risk of pregnancy? Will I be ok if I take 2 pills tomorrow and continue on a regular schedule? Should I think about taking the emergency contraceptive pill?

Hey Anon

Thanks for the update - yes, you should be fine, you do not need to take (and should not take) another double dose. This may upset your cycle.

Take care!

Your risk of pregnancy by missing one pill and then taking it the next day when you remember, along with your regular pill is very low. In fact, it should not change your cycle or raise your risk, and according to the literature supplied by Yasmin, you will not need to use a back up method of birth control.

When you say you want to take an additional two pills at once AGAIN - what do you mean by this? By taking your missed pill the next day, along with that day's pill, you have caught up. There are no extra pills to take.

I hope this helps you - please let us know if you have any more questions!

Hi Susan, you gave me a helpful tip a few months ago. I have another question. Please help!

I am on my second week of Yasmine pills (Saturday start). I usually take my pills in the morning. I missed my pill Friday morning, Saturday morning and then remembered and took 2 pills Saturday night. I had sex with my husband last night (unprotected). I was spotting a bit this morning. I took another pill at the normal time this morning.

Am I ok? Is there a risk of pregnancy? is this spotting normal? I am wondering if this spotting may be because of the missed pills... but does that also mean I am not pregnant? Should i think about the morning after pill... and be careful the next while with sex?

Thank you very much.

Hi Susan,

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful, indeed!

I asked about the second 2-pill dose because I was about 4 hours late taking the pills once I remembered. But, from what I hear, I am ok and back on track. Thanks!