I missed two pills and tripled up the next day. Then, I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend. Could I get prenant?

By Anonymous April 21, 2010 - 10:58pm

My period starts normally on the second day of the inactive pills. I missed two of the active pills during that week (my period week) and tripled up on them the day I realized it. That day I also had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and I'm afraid I could get pregnant from precum. This was on the second to the last day of the entire 7days of a period cycle. I wasnt bleeding anymore that second to last day. Is there a chance I could get pregnant though. I'm not sure if I could have already started ovulating. I've been on the pill for 4 yrs now. Sometimes I am late with times by a few hours so I don't know if that helps explain my situation a little better. What should I do?

Hi Anonymous

Any time you have unprotected sex you risk pregnancy, and any time you miss taking your birth control pills, you are having unprotected sex.

If you read the inserts that come with the pills, it will say something like if you miss one pill, double up the next day but use additional protection for a week or something to that effect. So any time you miss pills, your hormones change accordingly and you run the risk of becoming pregnant. Always use a second form of contraception when you miss pills, and follow the guidelines that come with the pills for how long you need to use the secondary protection. If you don't understand the insert instructions, call your pharmacist.

This is a common mistake for women, so don't feel you are alone. We have a lot of information on this topic: http://www.empowher.com/condition/reproductive-system

The bottom line is, if you don't want to get pregnant, you have to be very careful with your contraception. I hope this helped you.