I need to find a good therapist to help me get over a broken heart. Do you have any recommendations?

By Anonymous December 26, 2009 - 9:59am

I was laid off work last year and have not been able to find another job. Additionally, I can't afford health insurance. A relationship recently ended after 3 yrs and I am devastated and heart broken. I have no family and few friends--mostly acquaintances that I can't really talk to. I am very isolated. I need to find a good therapist who isn't too expensive. Can you help me find one? Many thanks!

Dear restless

I have found a few sources for you - all offering a sliding scale fee.

Arizona State offers counseling sessions (you don't have to be a student or faculty) : you can find them here :

ASU Faculty, Staff, Students and the Community
Clinical Psychology Center
Telephone: 480-965-7296

AZ Interfaith Counseling may also be of help to you and they offer a sliding scale too.
You can connect with them here : http://www.azic.org/

The most comprehensive list I can find for you is through the Health Professionals Directory. Here you can find out all the services offered, from traditional therapy to acupuncture to massage to naturopathic methods. Most of the therapists give their prices and those who offer a sliding scale (there are several, from what I can see) will have it on their bio. Start here : http://healthprofs.com/cam/prof_results.php?city=Phoenix&county=Maricopa&state=AZ&spec=10

Another idea is to contact the local hospitals near you and they can likely connect you to departments or interns who offer counseling for free or for very little. If those departments cannot help, I'm very certain they can refer you to someone who can.

Don't forget that exercise is a natural anti-depressant and so is friendship. Try to connect with like minded people. Try meetup.com to find groups and new friends that can be of great support.
Here is the link for Health and Support in Phoenix : http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/az/phoenix/groups/health/?radius=25.0

and here is the general link to Phoenix on Meetup : http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/az/phoenix/groups/?radius=25.0

There are nearly 1500 groups in and around Phoenix- lots of friendship, health and support groups but also for job finding and professional connecting. I'm sure there is something in there than can help you!

Will you give all this information a try and let me know how it goes?

Remember that you also have us here to talk to and we're happy to help you further!

Thank you so much!! I will check them all out and let you know how it goes. Thanks again so much for your encouragement and for the information. I never expected to get such wonderful resources, help and a friendly ear!

Dear Anon

I'm sorry your relationship ended recently - that cannot be easy, especially at this time of year.

There are many places that offer therapy either for free or on a sliding scale (paying what you can based on your income - or lack of). Additionally, there are churches and community organizations that offer the same, and in many cases, you do NOT have to be a member or believe in their particular faith system/religion.

Please let us know where you live (the state is fine, you do not have to give particulars if you don't wish or you can send a private message) and we can help direct you further.

We wish you the best-

Thank you so much. I live in Phoenix, AZ. If you have any specific suggestions, I would welcome them!