I need a free or very low-cost colonoscopy. Any suggestions?

No clinical trials in CA; long list of maybe "out of state" clinical trials, investigating now. Live in San Diego County. Blood occult test was positive.

Thanks so much for your question and I'm sorry you're in this position. It gets my "healthcare is a right for all" bandwagon revving up!

It's good to see you are doing your homework in terms of clinical trials and you're correct in that this is a good way to get free services.

At this stage, my advice is to call every hospital near you and ask to speak to a department that can help with financial assistance. You may be able to get services for a lower cost or have payments spread out over a couple of years.

I have found that when you ask and get through to these departments, they tend to want to work with you as much as possible.

Also, contact your County's health department - they also provide information on low or no cost services. You may need a note from your doctor or a doctor. Did you take the blood occult test yourself? If so, you may need to go to a low cost clinic near you in order to make the results "official" with a doctor's signature. This will ensure that you will at least be qualified to inquire about low or no cost service.

Have you check to see if you qualify for Medicaid?

Colon Cancer