I play golf twice a week 5 months out of the year, and recently my doctor found 2 instances of melanoma on me.

By Anonymous March 1, 2011 - 3:10am

They were both caught early and removed. Should I give up golf since it's constant sun exposure, or is is possible to be shielded enough?

Dear Anon,

I'm sorry to hear you are considering giving up golf due to melanoma. Do you wear sun screen and use other forms of protection such as hats/protective clothing, etc? If so, you may consider changing the golf course you are now practicing in to perhaps one with a little more shade or change the time of day you play golf. Morning sun is not as strong as the UV rays from the sun at 3 in the afternoon and this along with a shortened amount of time spent in the sun may help decrease your chances of developing melanoma once again.

Best Wishes!

Melanoma Guide