I really think that I suffer from PMDD? How do I tell my doctor without sounding like I am just making excuses for my behavior?

By July 30, 2010 - 11:59am

I had a baby four months ago and all of a sudden I started to feel really depressed and irritable. I felt so tired with the way my life was and I felt stuck in my situation with the baby and work. Food did not taste very good to me and I just wanted to sleep. I have been reading a lot about Post-Partum depression, so I thought that was what I was feeling even though it was kind of late. I made an appt. with a LSW. Then, I got my period and I am feeling hopeful and overall just better. I kind of remember feeling this way before I got pregnant each month, but I just kept thinking that I was having normal emotional ups and downs. When I compare this up and down feeling with the more stable emotions that I had while I was pregnant, I think that something must be going on with my cycle. I just want to hear from others with PMDD in order to figure out if I am just feeling normal emotions or if PMDD is really at play.

I thought you were going to chip in with some decisive insigth at the end there. Not leave it with we leave it to you to decide

hi! This response is a little late, but maybe it will help someone else. In response to the original question, there are probably a few doctors out there who don't know what PMDD is, so be prepared to explain it to them (what it is and what your symptoms are). Just because your doctor may not know what it is, doesn't mean they can't treat you effectively. And if you ever feel like your doctor isn't taking you seriously, maybe it's time to find a new doctor. However, if they're good, then they'll listen to you and research the disorder if they need to.
I hope that helps!

Anonymous (reply to Kristin908)

Do things that help you relax such as yoga, meditation, getting a massage or reading. These are mentally calming relaxation practices and will help you eliminate unwanted thoughts. Thanks a lot.

I have not seen a counselor yet. In fact I started my period and feel good now, so I am contemplating canceling the appointment. I started a journal and I wrote down my symptoms so that I can track from month to month. My husband has noticed how irritable and emotional I get before my periods, he noticed that I did not have such extreme ups and downs during my pregnancy. Some of the other symptoms include forgetfulness, obsessing of one thing, feeling super fat and ugly, and just an overall feeling of being trapped in my life. The strange thing is that it just disappeared the day that I had my period. I do think that I will talk to my gp about this at my next appointment and see if she thinks if I am just having regular PMS symptoms or if it is something more. Thank you so much for your advice.

HERWriter Guide (reply to sjos)

hi sjos-
Thanks for your update!

I think the fact that your problems end as soon as you get your period is even more a sign of PMDD and I really hope you rethink canceling.
Your problems will only come back next month. I know how great you feel now and you feel like "next month this won't happen again!" so it's very tempting to cancel. But I hope you reconsider. What do you think?

Will you let me know how things go?

Hi sjos

You may very well have PMDD and I think it's great that you're doing some research into what's going on with you.

Have you looked at our PMDD page? Take a look here and tell us what matching or similar symptoms and behavoirs you see : http://www.empowher.com/condition/pmdd/definition

When you talk to your doctor - write all your symptoms down. Write down any triggers that you notice. Talk as clearly as you can but it's ok if you get emotional - it's the nature of PMDD. Track the days on your calender that seem the worst and provide these dates as to how they coincide with your menstrual cycle. All this can help with a diagnosis, and your research will help you understand more, too.

You mentioned you have a baby and saw a counselor regarding possible post-partum depression (which could still be at issue here. Can you tell us what the counselor told you?

Thanks for contacting us and know that we'll help guide you in getting to the bottom of things and on your way to a great month-to-month cycle!

PMDD Guide