I recently started using the estrogen patch because of hot flashes. Should I take it off when I have my period.

By March 17, 2013 - 7:49pm

I am 54 years old, and just went on the patch two months ago because of horrible hot flashes. The hot flashes stopped, but I have had a period quite often during the time I have been on the patch. I am not sure if it is ok to keep the patch on during my period? Also I have oral progesterone that I am supposed to take, and wonder if I should stop taking that during my period?

Hi heatherhuseby

Women taking estrogen often taper off their dosage (lower it) in the second half of their cycle (after ovulation) to allow for periods. When the stop taking estrogen or drastically lower it, the progesterone induces the period.

This is generally speaking.

But it also depends on the dose of your patch. Low dose patches are often ok for some women to take all month.

It's a good idea to discuss this with your doctor.

Menopause Guide