I started taking my pill on day 4/5 of my cycle, however i had unprotected sex a day after starting my first week on the pill with my boyfriend. Then stupidly missed 2 pills in the first week of taking it ... So the question being could i be pregnant?

By March 21, 2010 - 4:30am

or should i say,will going to start my first tablet, a day after my menstrual period..

hi there..! just want to double check..been using birth control pill for a year and 3 months..and stopped taking it for nearly 7months now..! and i want to start a new pack this month..had my monthly period yesterday, October 7, 2012..and started really light (it looked like at least 2-3 drops of blood)..and usually lasts for 3 days..i want to ask if it's ok to start on the day 4 or 5 even though my cycle only lasts on day 3? thank you so much...hoping for your reply..

Thank you for your reply, will post more when I know more! I know that all my symptoms can be period related: mild cramping, sicky feeling, sore bbs, late period...but only by a day. will keep posting!

I have a similar issue. I started the pill on day 16 of my cycle, a little late I know. My partner and I, stupidly had unprotected sex on day 15; which I have now discovered could be my ovulation date. As I know that it takes 7 days to be protected with the pill I have taken it religiously on the off chance that Im not pregnant. Today (27th May) is now the day that I would be due on my period had I not started the pill and i feel awful, like im about to start a period. Could I be pregnant or is this just a side effect of taking the pill midway through a cycle?

(reply to Anonymous)

I'm not sure what your exact symptoms are, but you could be pregnant or could be starting your period soon. Your period may not start exactly when you are expecting it to, since you started taking the pill later in you cycle. You can take a home pregnancy test this week and/or next week, if your period does not start, as there is a chance of being pregnant. Let us know how you are doing!

You can take a test 3-5 days before your period is due or you can wait for the day it's due. Either way, you just have to wait it out. It's a tough time, I know but it's a waiting game for all, unfortunately. So just wait until your period is due (or a few days before) and test. I think I also covered this on another of your posts about the same thing. Please just wait it out and try not to stress, I think we have given you all the information we can for now.

Good luck - we wish the best outcome for you!

Thank you so much for all your advice and help, i'll wait another two weeks until my next period is due and test then.

Yes...there is a possibility of pregnancy. The pill is 99% effective at preventing pregnancy, but whenever you miss pills, the effectiveness decreases.

If this is the first time you've ever taken pills, then please read the patient information brochure and make sure this information below is correct with your specific prescription:
- The pill is at its full effectiveness after 7 days of taking it. If you took 7 days' worth of pill, then had sex, it would be considered "protected sex" against pregnancy.
- Missing 2 pills in-a-row: did you make up these pills the next day? This is the correct way to make up missed pills (just an example, since I'm not sure what days you missed):
Monday: pill as usual
Tuesday: oops...missed pill
Wednesday: oops...missed pill
Thursday: Take Thursday's pill plus Tuesday's missed pill
Friday: Take Friday's pill plus Wednesday's missed pill
Saturday: take Saturday's pill as usual
* Must use back-up protection for 7 days after missed pills!

It is important to always take the correct day's pill, regardless of the pills you missed previously. If you miss 3 or more pills in-a-row, the instructions usually say to throw away the current pack and start a new one, or take missed pills until Sunday then throw away pack...different variations.

Regarding the pills you missed after having sex: at first, it sounds like you missed the two pills in the 2nd week, but then you say you missed 2 pills in the first week? If you took 7 days of pills, then missed pills in the 2nd week...and had sex during the first week...then your chance of pregnancy is slight. Sperm can live inside your body for a while (3-5 days) under the "best" circumstances, but women taking the pill do not have cervical environments that create the "best" circumstances for sperm (cervical mucus is thicker, so sperm can not travel through as easily).

Does this make sense? If you missed the pills after having sex, then when you had sex you were most likely protected. The only "if" is the sperm staying in your body for days afterwards, since you just started the pill.

Let me know if I can help clarify this information.

(reply to Alison Beaver)

Thank you for your reply, yes this was the first time that i had taken the pill and started it on 4/5 day of my cycle which was a thursday, however i had sex with my boyfriend on friday, saturday and sunday then on the wednesday i had piss my 1st pill and then again on the thursday!
I'm just a bit confused and scared that i could actually be pregnant.

(reply to Lola_marie)

Yes, from what you said and from what Alison wrote, there is a chance that you could have gotten pregnant. Since you had sex with your boyfriend before you had been on the pill for seven days, you might not have been protected yet.

You'll have to wait until it's time for your next cycle to see if you have a period, and if you don't, you'll need to take a home pregnancy test to see if you are or aren't. From what you wrote, you were on days 6, 7 and 8 of your cycle. Sperm can live in the body for up to 3 days, so if you ovulated around day 10 or 11, it would have been possible.

Did you double up on the pills you missed like Alison said? And are you still taking them every day now?