I take requib for my restless legs it helps come down some, but there has to be a cause and a solutuon ?

By March 13, 2010 - 5:06pm

I am 61 and I have restless leg syndrome. I started having some sensations in my 40,s I didnt what they were, they was mild at first, bothering me when I was sitting still or riding in a car for long periods,the finally started to get worse about 10 years ago, and I seen avertisement on T.V. and I knew that was me so I went to doc and he put me on requib. but there has to be a cause your body of lack of vit, or minerals. before I knew what it was, I just knew I walked the floor at night and could not sleep. So the doc put me on ambien to sleep.but when I seen the ads on t,v, I knew that was me. what are some natural cures?

Dear Sammie

Thanks so much for your question! RLS affects many people (I suffered from it during pregnancy) and some take medication, as in your case - others simply put up with it and others still opt for natural cures.

There is no known cause for RLS although pregnancy can trigger it, as does a lack of iron in the diet. Some who suffer from RLS have a previous motor disorder.

For some natural treatments:

◦Massage your legs.
◦Use a heating pad or ice pack.
◦Take a hot bath.
◦Talk to your doctor about taking supplements that might be helpful, such as folate, iron, magnesium, vitamins B12, C, and E.
◦Refrain from using tobacco, alcohol, or caffeine.
◦Follow a sleep routine.
◦Develop a regular, moderate exercise program.
◦Avoid the use of medications that may worsen RLS, such as antidepressants.

You can read a lot more about RLS on our page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/restless-legs-syndrome-rls

I do hope if these techniques work that you can stop taking sleep medication. Your insomnia may be due to RLS so taking medications for both seems a bit redundant.

How long have you been on Requip? Is it working for you?

I'd also like you to take a look at this article about RLS and tell me what you think:

It includes a lot of feedback from other women.

Are you trying any natural methods right now?

I look forward to an update from you!