Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I think I have food poisoning. I am not sure. How do I tell?

By Anonymous August 30, 2009 - 8:28am
Rate This

I ate McDonald's on Wednesday 8-26-2009 and when I woke up 8-27-2009 I was queasy. I was on the toilet all day. Since 8-27-2009 I haven't stopped. I am still going. What do I do. Is it food poisoning. Is it the flu. Everything I eat goes through me. Please help me

Add a Comment2 Comments

I agree with miscortes---do not hesitate to call your doctor about your symptoms, as your ongoing symptoms for suspected food poisoning could be a sign of an infection, and has been going on continuously long enough (this is the 4th day) where you may become dehydrated quickly.

I do not believe there are any flu cases (yet!) in the United States this season, but there are certainly other viruses that could cause diarrhea instead of food poisoning. (I assume this is what you are experiencing; you did not mention vomiting or any other symptoms).

August 30, 2009 - 12:07pm
EmpowHER Guest

Thank you for your question. Ahh, the dreaded food poisoning. It is amazing that as many times as I have ever had food poisoning that I ever eat out anymore.

Food poisoning tends to happen within a couple hours of eating. You then are confined to the bathroom as nausea and diarrhea are common. It usually is out of your system within 24-48 hours although Medicine.net does indicate that it could last for a week or two. Here is the link to read more about it http://www.emedicinehealth.com/food_poisoning/page3_em.htm.

If you are experiencing diarrhea and not longer vomiting, it may be just the end stage of the food poisoning, although if it persists for longer than a week, I would seek medical attention.

I recently had food poisoning from Burger King and had to go to the doctor's office after two weeks to find that I actually was suffering from an intestinal infection as well. There is medication for the intestinal infection that is cured within five days.

If the symptoms persist, certainly consult your physician since most food poisoning is reduced after 24-48 hours. There may be something else going on. I hope this helps. Please let us know the outcome.

August 30, 2009 - 10:15am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Food Poisoning

Get Email Updates

Food Poisoning Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!