Pregnancy Guide

ask: I think my period is late, but i'm not sure if it is late enough to possibly be pregnant

By Wendy0213

I keep track of my cycle on "monthlyinfo.com". I opened it last Thursday (July 23) to see when my next period was due (because it seemed like a long time had passed) they stated that it should have arrived on July 24th. Last week I has slight cramping and bloating and the week before my face broke out (like usual). Earlier in the month my chest was sore, like usual (always get so tender that my bra bothers my chest). As of yesterday all of my symptoms started to stop. Even the bloating is starting to go away. Just like it would if my period had ended yesterday (when it should have if I had gotten it on the right day). Also just noticed that my chest doesn't hurt at all and hasn't hurt for at least 10 days now). My average cycle according to the "monthlyinfo.com" calendar is 27 days. The longest it has ever been was 30 days (1 time) and I have been keeping track for close to two years now. Usually my period is right on time and always lasts 4 days, which usually consists of 2 days of bleeding, one day no bleeding, then one day of bleeding, then it goes away. I have been like this since I was 13 and I am 33 now.

I was also a little concerned because last month (only month this EVER happened) I made a special note on the tracking calendar because I got my period late in the day on June 28th and it was completely gone by mid afternoon on June 30th. So now today is June 29th, I was going to take a pregnancy test, but I don't want to waste my money. There were times in the past I thought I was pregnant, but bought the test, just to get my period two hours later. I have not been stressing the situation, just figured I was a little late. It would be okay if I was pregnant, so I'm not stressed or worried. Just looking for some advice. Should I wait a couple more days to take the pregnancy test or is this something I should do right away?
Thank you in advance for any advice you could offer. Have a wonderful day!
Note: Also I have a condition called Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease (which I found out about 4 years ago), I am not on any medication for this because the doctor's say it is not that bad yet and just needs to be monitored. Could this be affecting my period?

Anonymous

hi,
i am just too late for my period.it has been like 9 weeks n 5 days late i havent had my period yet.i'm so scared when i was like a month late i had like once unprotective sex with my partner but he says he didnt did it inside but after that i m not sexually related but i am really late for my period.i dont know what the maximum longing time to have a period.everyday i have the feeling that i'll might have it today but no i dont have it.can anybody help me out with my problem coz i dont want to be pregnant and i havent done any pregnancy test but like i started to have pimples a lot on my face on my back of the chest which i never used to have it like a year and half ago.i have gained my appetite,kept on losing hair and getting pimples sometimes big one all of a sudden on my faces and like got pimple scares at my back.if anyone got any clue what is going on with me i will appreciate that .thank you.

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

Hi, Anon,

Did your periods used to be regular? Or have they been irregular in the past?

How old are you?

Most girls and women are a little irregular in their teen years but as they mature they get more regular.

If you haven't had a period in more than 9 weeks, and you did have unprotected sex, you need to take a pregnancy test, Anon. There's no way around it. You need to know, one way or the other. If it's positive, you need to know so you can figure out what to do. If it's negative, you need to know so you can figure out what else might be going on. But the pregnancy test comes first.

How long have you been losing hair? How much are you losing?

Will you take a pregnancy test and come back and let us know what it says?

Anonymous

Thank you for your question. If you had your period, you should be okay. Have you tried a pregnancy test just in case? Taking a pregnancy test will be helpful to calm your nerves as well. You can purchase one from a local Dollar Store for only $1.00.

The white discharge is common and could be because you are ovulating. Ovulation occurs approximately 14 days from the day you start your period. This is the most fertile time, so if you are not trying to get pregnant, be very careful around this specific time.

Are you on any sort of birth control? Are you using protection?

Anonymous

I am alittle concestrened because i havent gotten my period yet and im now 5 days late. My fiancee says Im just stressing out about it. Last month I got my period on the 9th and it was a short month only 28 days .. The 9th has come and gone this month and I still don't have it, it is now the 14th. I have been sick on and off with a cold and cough and was alittle stressed out about a week or two ago about something at work. But other than that my breast do hurt like they normally would before I get my period and I do have alilttle bit of white discharge on my underwear.. Any advice for me. My period seems to change track every couple months i use to get it at the end of every month then it went to the beginning and now it should fall around 9th. Im alittle concerened we are deff not ready for a child yet :/

Anonymous

Hey Wendy,

It is great to hear that the HPT was negative. It is funny that every time I think I am pregnant and took a pregnancy test, my period would start that night or the next day. I guess the stress of wondering will certainly delay the process.

Best in health and please come visit us again soon.

Thanks so much! Usually anytime I take a test I get my period within 2 hours of taking the test! LOL!!! I actually thought that's what would happen again....but still no period. I'm betting it will make an appearance in a couple of days!!! Thans so much for all of your support!!

Diane Porter

Hi, Wendy, and thank you for your question. Let's see what we can figure out.

Honestly, from what you write, it seems quite possible that you're just late. If your period was due July 24 and it's now July 30, you're just six days late, which isn't really that much. Have you been under any stress lately due to other things? That can totally affect our hormones, which can have all kinds of effects on our actual cycle.

If it were me, I'd probably wait until I was about 7 to 10 days late before trying a pregnancy test, since you're fine either way.

Hashimoto's can indeed affect your period, but it tends to result in longer or heavier bleeding. Here's a list of symptoms from the Mayo Clinic's page on Hashimoto's Disease:
* Fatigue and sluggishness
* Increased sensitivity to cold
* Constipation
* Pale, dry skin
* A puffy face
* Hoarse voice
* An elevated blood cholesterol level
* Unexplained weight gain - occurring infrequently and rarely more than 10 to 20 pounds, most of which is fluid
* Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness, especially in your shoulders and hips
* Pain and stiffness in your joints and swelling in your knees or the small joints in your hands and feet
* Muscle weakness, especially in your lower extremities
* Excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia)
* Depression

And if you're interested, here's more info from that page:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hashimotos-disease/DS00567/DSECTION=sym...

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

Thank you so much for all of your advise and help. If I don't get it by the end of the weekend, I will take a test. Also, thank you for the link. I am definately interested to read anything on my disease. Thanks again, Have a wonderful day!

Wendy :)

Diane Porter (reply to Anonymous)

You're very welcome! I have my fingers crossed that you get the outcome you most want if you have to take a HPT. And Hashimoto's is a really interesting condition that I'm trying to learn more about. The thyroid is a tiny gland but it's so powerful. It affects everything else in our bodies. I'm glad you don't have to take medicine for it yet, but you'll want to be aware of those possible symptoms so you can tell if it seems to be getting worse. Take care, and thanks again for your question.

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

Hi Diane,
Thanks so much for the info on my Thyroid Disease, it was extremely helpful. As you can see I made another post on 9/1 due to my period being 6 days late again. Except this time it did not make an appearance....not yet anyway. How long should I wait before I take a HPT. I was going to wait another week to take one, just wondering if I should take it sooner. I don't know if this means anything but.....I am currently experiencing at this time: EXTREME bloating and a very painful gas like feeling with tons of movement in my abdominal region. This has been happening for about three days now. I am also in the bathroom about twice an hour to go #1 (and because of the gas pains) with very little coming out each time. Today I woke up and felt like I could stay in bed for a week. I am having a lot of trouble getting myself up to a normal work speed.....but I alos know this could be a symptom of my Thyroid Disease. Thanks so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it! Have a wonderful day!
Wendy

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :