I want to become pregnant. Been on B.C. for almost 8 years! Any tips?

By Anonymous November 4, 2009 - 11:19am

i have been on birth control for almost 8 years now. i am on my last pack of pills, i am in the greens and i am currently on my period. me and my boyfriend of 5 years want to try to have a baby. How long will it take to become pregnant? He is a heavy drinker and recently quit smoking. He has agreed to slow down on his drinking because i have been reading up on everything. We really want to have a baby boy. What can help me get pregnant faster and have more the chance of becomming pregnant with a baby boy? Is there anything i can do to speed up the process?

Dear Anon

Thanks for your question. It's best that both of you adopt and smoke and preferably alcohol free lifestyle as you try for a baby, especially the mother.

To get pregnant you just need to start having unprotected sex! Following your menstrual chart will help so that you can track your most fertile days - if you have been reading up on it all, I'm sure your pretty knowledgeable about the facts but here is a great link anyway - it can help clarify a few things - http://www.empowher.com/news/herarticle/2009/04/08/understanding-your-menstrual-cycle?page=0,0

Adopting a healthy diet and exercise routine, as well as sleeping well and keeping as stress free as possible all contribute to conceiving successfully.

As far as trying for one sex over another - some say the Shettles Method is a good way to try. As far as I recall, it's about 65% accurate so a little better than not trying at all. You can read more about that here : http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/can-skipping-breakfast-help-conceive-baby-girl

I'm sure when you do have your baby, you won't mind what sex he or she is!

If you are under 35 and find you are still trying after a year, talk to a doctor. Give it 6 months if you are over 35 but bear in mind there is no "fast track" to pregnancy - a lot of it is down to Mother Nature, luck, good timing as well as other factors I've spoken about here.

Good luck with trying (on both counts) and we wish you the best.