Q: 

I was just prescribed clobetasol propionate cream for vulvar dystrophy. The doctor did not mention anything about sex.

By June 23, 2008 - 7:38pm

Anonymous

That ointment is poison.
I was misdiagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus. I never had it. I had a latent yeast infection that would come up negative on regular tests, but a gyno who thought outside the box found yeast on a slide after I suffered for over a year......from something THAT SIMPLE.

I am now on 2700 mg of Neurotin daily to quell the all over body itch having a latent yeast infection misdiagnosed as Lichen and treated with this f'ng poison called Clobetasol Propropianate. My parts were so damn red from that absolute sh** for months.

Steroids feed yeast infections and the quackery I dealt with was beyond the pale with a derm who prescribed that sh** daily for 3 months straight. When I was reducing the dosage to once every 10 days, I applied a small amount on that 10th day......and within 15 minutes had itching all up and down my arms like something crawling from inside of my bones. I also had it on the backs of my legs. My groin area was unaffected concerning itch from the ointment, but I felt like I rolled in THISTLES all over my body after applying a little drop in the vulvar area. Plus it was redder than a firecracker from this POISON. My regular MD looked me over on my annual and said "your parts look fine, but I can't figure out why you are so RED". D*mn clobetasol, that's why. The derm said I had the LS shrinkage, don't know why she thought that, but I told her I have looked at every picture of this condition on the net and I don't look like that. She said it was "early". What an arrogant little lemming with her little med book to match a couple of symptoms to an RX poison........

After that episode of horrid all over body itching......I asked for the Lichen biopsy results to read for myself and it was "inconclusive" but showed surface inflammation .....which was enough for this derm to give me the hydrogen bomb Clobetasol POISON that would have kept me on her leash for God knows how long. I read my biopsy results carefully as I understood it being trained in an allied health field...and then and decided the diagnosis of LS was total BS and I have had a gyno and a better dermatologist confirm I never had the condition.

Steroids FEED yeast and I dealt with this needless crap for 20 months because of people who don't think outside the box. I can't wait to get off the Neurontin as I hate RX drugs, but Clobetasol misprescribed by a quack put me in a position to be handled like a post shingles patient with neuropathic itch all over my body from that d*mn POISON.

I thank God I found a proper derm who recognized what was going on and put me on the path to healing. I lost so much time and money over this total BS that I can't even fathom it at times.
I am post menopausal and have paid $1500 out of pocket for the Mona Lisa laser treatments to prevent this from EVER happening again and it's a GODSEND. My whole saga started with a yeast infection caused by antibiotics in January 2015.... and I searched for months on the net for someone to help me. The Mona Lisa treatments are giving me back some liquid down there so I can even think to have some kind of intimate life with my very patient husband who has sat with me through doctors appointments with a bunch of damn derm quacks who know nothing but to prescribe STEROIDS STEROIDS STEROIDS......
NEVER NEVER put steroids in that area. If you are CONFIRMED as a lichen patient with a biopsy ....that is correct.... then by all means, use the Clobetasol. However in my case, it ruined my life for close to 20 months because of a quack derm who couldn't think outside of "the box".

All of this sh** from a yeast infection that wouldn't show up on tests. Thank GOD for the gyno who put that sh** on a slide in her office and saw it within 5 minutes before sending it out officially to a lab......the results from the lab were NEGATIVE and I asked for all the strains of yeast test to get to the bottom of this sh**

FWIW, I even went to an AIDS clinic and took all those tests. Negative, but I did it as I was desperate to get to the bottom of this d*mn scenario. I threw those test results into the face of a derm assistant to the quack derm with her Clobestesol worship. He backed me down to another steroid at the time and it didn't do sh**, probably prolonged the issue, but whatever......

Pull $1500 out of your pocket for the Mona Lisa treatment and get off the leash of these d*mn terms who look at something and think the solution are these f'ing hydrogen bomb steroid ointments.

I don't even care that the Mona Lisa laser treatments are not covered by insurance. I wasted between $2K-3K and over a year of my time with these steroid derm quacks, so what's another $1500 to get my life back? Between that treatment, the Neurontin...and oh YES 2 solid MONTHS of Difflucan to kill the d*mn yeast infection I had for over a year...once and for all, I finally have MY LIFE BACK.

You have to be your own patient advocate. Don't think for a minute because someone has a certificate on their wall that they have the last word...

Anonymous

Any home remedies for the itching for this I'm out of my cream haven't needed it in a long time but I'm going crazy tonight the itching is intense...

Anonymous

I would never think about any form of sex until I took a good shower and made sure all the Clobetasol was gone from my body, totally gone!!!

Anonymous

I just found out I have Lichen Sclerosis, the only symptoms i have is itching, my question is if i start using the clobetasol steriod will it make my skin thinner and get worse and cause me not to be able to have intercourse with my husband? Are there any side effects to this cream that i should be aware of?

You didn't say where in New Jersey you are. May I suggest that you Google physician referral in New Jersey, or ask your OB-GYN for a referral.

See this for a definition of vaginal lichen planus, University of Iowa

Anonymous

It is confirmed through a biopsy that i have vulvar lichen planus. I am at the end of my rope. i would like to go to a dr who knows more on the disease. I live in NJ can you suggest any physcians?

I was at the end of my rope too, read an article online about Dr. Andrew Goldstein in DC and contacted his office out of sheer desperation. He doesn't take insureance and I had to travel there, but I bit the bullet and went to see him. He has really helped me! I couldn't have intercourse without really serious tearing and am now happily sexually active. Good luck!

What did the doctor say?

Anonymous

Hi Girl in Need,

You're doing all the right things. Lichen Sclerosis (LS) is one of those conditions that can be diagnosed by looking at the skin and confirmed with a biopsy. It's good to treat aggressively at first, to give your skin a chance to heal and recover. Once it's back to "normal" you'll want to prevent it. Some specialists recommend applying a milder steroid cream once each week to keep the symptoms at bay.

Unfortunately, there are many theories about how and why this occurs, but we don't know for sure. The key is to keep the symptoms from returning because the itching, scratching, and cracks can lead to more pain and difficulty controlling it.

Good luck,

NurseBarb

www.NurseBarb.com

Anonymous

I have been diagnosed by my Gyno last week for Lichen Sclerosis. So I have some concerns. Does anyone here know anything about LS?
And is it normal for my Gyno to get test result in the office for something that is suppose to be rare, in not even 5 mins?
She didn't even do a biopsy, she just looked and q-tip swiped. My symptoms are very mild! Hardly not itching, barely no redness, no lesions, and no blood though, I do get little cuts on my perineum after sex and that is what made me go have a check up in the first place. Though nothing was so bad that I could not have sex or other activities.
She put me on Clobetasol for 90 days once a day, then come in for a check up and reduce Clobetasol to 3 times per week. I have been on the treatment for 7 days now and though any itching I had went away immediatley, I see redness spreading and a slight burning feeling now! Is this normal for Clobetasol to do this for a first time use? Could I have used to much?
Should I get a second opinion?

Kind Regards,
A girl in need of answers.

Vulvar Dystrophy

Vulvar Dystrophy Guide