I was just prescribed clobetasol propionate cream for vulvar dystrophy. The doctor did not mention anything about sex.

By June 23, 2008 - 7:38pm

Any home remedies for the itching for this I'm out of my cream haven't needed it in a long time but I'm going crazy tonight the itching is intense...

I would never think about any form of sex until I took a good shower and made sure all the Clobetasol was gone from my body, totally gone!!!

I just found out I have Lichen Sclerosis, the only symptoms i have is itching, my question is if i start using the clobetasol steriod will it make my skin thinner and get worse and cause me not to be able to have intercourse with my husband? Are there any side effects to this cream that i should be aware of?

You didn't say where in New Jersey you are. May I suggest that you Google physician referral in New Jersey, or ask your OB-GYN for a referral.

See this for a definition of vaginal lichen planus, University of Iowa

It is confirmed through a biopsy that i have vulvar lichen planus. I am at the end of my rope. i would like to go to a dr who knows more on the disease. I live in NJ can you suggest any physcians?

I was at the end of my rope too, read an article online about Dr. Andrew Goldstein in DC and contacted his office out of sheer desperation. He doesn't take insureance and I had to travel there, but I bit the bullet and went to see him. He has really helped me! I couldn't have intercourse without really serious tearing and am now happily sexually active. Good luck!

What did the doctor say?

Hi Girl in Need,

You're doing all the right things. Lichen Sclerosis (LS) is one of those conditions that can be diagnosed by looking at the skin and confirmed with a biopsy. It's good to treat aggressively at first, to give your skin a chance to heal and recover. Once it's back to "normal" you'll want to prevent it. Some specialists recommend applying a milder steroid cream once each week to keep the symptoms at bay.

Unfortunately, there are many theories about how and why this occurs, but we don't know for sure. The key is to keep the symptoms from returning because the itching, scratching, and cracks can lead to more pain and difficulty controlling it.

Good luck,

I have been diagnosed by my Gyno last week for Lichen Sclerosis. So I have some concerns. Does anyone here know anything about LS?
And is it normal for my Gyno to get test result in the office for something that is suppose to be rare, in not even 5 mins?
She didn't even do a biopsy, she just looked and q-tip swiped. My symptoms are very mild! Hardly not itching, barely no redness, no lesions, and no blood though, I do get little cuts on my perineum after sex and that is what made me go have a check up in the first place. Though nothing was so bad that I could not have sex or other activities.
She put me on Clobetasol for 90 days once a day, then come in for a check up and reduce Clobetasol to 3 times per week. I have been on the treatment for 7 days now and though any itching I had went away immediatley, I see redness spreading and a slight burning feeling now! Is this normal for Clobetasol to do this for a first time use? Could I have used to much?
Should I get a second opinion?

Kind Regards,
A girl in need of answers.

(reply to Anonymous)

Hey girl in need of answers. How smart of you to question your doctor. It's a great start toward advocating for yourself. The National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases says "doctors CAN diagnose an advanced case by looking at the skin. However, early or mild disease often requires a biopsy (removal and examination of a small sample of affected skin). Because other diseases of the genitalia can look like lichen sclerosus, a biopsy is advised whenever the appearance of the skin is not typical of lichen sclerosus."

I found this fact page very informative and highly recommend it.

And Clobetasol may cause side effects and include itching, burning, or irritation on the area of skin where clobetasol is applied. I would contact your doctor to let her know about what you're experiencing. You can find more information about Clobetasol information. Are you experiencing any other side effects?

I have also forwarded your question to a very highly regarded nurse who has experience in this area. And hope to have further information for you in a few days.

Vulvar Dystrophy

Vulvar Dystrophy Guide