I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I am afraid that I won't be able to have children when I am ready to. How much does this effect my ability to get pregnant?

By June 7, 2010 - 12:00pm

I am 23 years old and I have a four year old daughter. I really want to have more children some day but I am not sure I am ready yet. I was just diagnosed with PCOS and am already having related issues. I guess I am just wondering if I should try to get pregnant now so that I have a better chance of having at least one more child or if I will still have a reasonable chance of getting pregnant when I am ready.

Hi Eliz445

I'm sorry you are dealing with PCOS - it's a difficult condition for many women who live with it.

I would generally tell any woman to withhold pregnancy until she is ready - emotionally, physically, financially. While there is never a perfect time to have children, some times are better than others. If now is not the time for you, then hold off. You are only 23 and have years ahead of you to have another child.

PCOS is one of the main causes of infertility in women. You may need medications to help you to get pregnant in the future or even surgery. However, bear in mind that many women with the condition do have children and more than one.

Do you know how severe your PCOS is? Talk to your doctor about this. He may indicate that from a medical standpoint, there are advantages and disadvantages to waiting (or not waiting) to try for another baby.

Check out our PCOS. It has all the medical information you need (including treatment) as well as informative articles and short videos. You will also read stories of women with PCOS, just like you.

Please let me know what you think!