Breast Conditions

Breast Conditions Guide

ask: I went to the doctor yesterday, because my left breast and armpit were really sore.

She said that there was some feathering that she didn't like, and had me go down to radiology to get a mammogram and ultrasound. They found seven swollen lymph nodes and she has scheduled me to see the breast specialist in two days, and said that they may want to do a biopsy. I am scared and want to know what this sounds like. I also have been told that sometimes women get lumps if they drink sodas. I usually have one or two almost every day. Could that be the problem?

It would be unwise and unethical for me to make any guess. Your doctor is doing all the right things.

A breast biopsy is a simple procedure. A sample of breast tissue will be removed, either by inserting a thin needle or by making a small cut and removing a sample of the tissue.

Depending on how the doctor chooses to obtain the biopsy, you will either receive local or general anesthesia.

The tissue sample will be sent to a laboratory and examined under a microscope by trained technicians. The pathology results will aid your doctors in making a diagnosis.

Some people think that there is a link between caffeine and fibrocystic breast disease. Some women think drinking coffee and colas or eating chocolate contributes to this. According to MedlinePlus, there is no clear proof of this.

What Do You Think the Best Way to Screen for Early Detection of Breast Cancer is?: