I went to the dr for a "well woman visit" for pap-they took the pap smear but now say that they didn't, what should I do?

By May 20, 2010 - 3:36pm

I noticed my bill did not have the pap test on it and called the dr office, they say that they looked at the dr notes and there is nothing on there about the pap test. I specifically remember them taking the swab/specimen and placing it on the slide. I have had really bad cramping and large flows with my periods, now find out 2 months after the test that they didn't even do the test according to them. I am very concerned that this dr is just not doing her job right and don't know where to turn. In the past drs have always told me that they'll call if the test comes back negative, now I find out that they didn't call because they say they didn't do the test at all. Isn't that negligence to not send in the sample? What can I do?

Hi teak333

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry your doctor's office messed up like this. If you had a pap test and it was not sent to the lab, then you are entitled to go back in for another. Please request that this be done as soon as possible. This should not become an issue - they made a mistake and need to fix things. Additionally, a pap test is part of a well-woman visit so by definition, they surely know they made a mistake.

Some offices notify only if there is a problem. Others notify via mail no matter the result. It depends on their own policies.

Please request a retest and let us know what happens.

I wish you the best and hope for an update soon!