Is Iced Tea Dehydrating?

By November 13, 2009 - 2:27pm

My friends and I were at wing night yesterday and the waitress brought us all large glasses of water along with our actually beverages; mine was iced tea.

We joked that we looked thirsty, but then a friend said that iced tea is actually dehydrating. I'm not sure she is right. Is she?

Another interesting fact about iced tea is that it can actually cause acid-reflux. I had never put the two together, but I was an avid iced-tea drinker and had to take prilosec everyday until I stopped drinking iced-tea for a while. But, the second I enjoyed a glass of iced-tea, my acid reflux returned!

Hi Shannon!

Great question! Iced tea can be dehydrating due to the caffeine in it. Caffeine can dehydrate the body but only if you drink lots of it. A glass of iced tea or two is not going to dehydrate you - on the contrary, it will hydrate you. The general consensus that any amount of caffeine is dehydrating is now gone unless used in large quantities.

However, iced tea, like any caffeinated drink, can give you the jitters or cause sleep problems. So enjoy a glass or two at most or try the de-caffeinated kind. Everything in moderation!

Healthy Eating