If I got tetanus diptheria shot in 2008 should I update the tdap now?

By October 6, 2010 - 10:30am

recently changed docs. She didn't ask me about my immunization records but due to my daughter being tested for pertussis (diagnosed ultimately with pneumonia) wonder if I should go ahead to get the pertussis shot now even if I had the regular tetanus shot 2 years ago?

my daughter is fine, (Zpak rocks!) and I've just turned 40 so went to new doc yesterday (change of insurance) and mammo (still recovering from that one!). Also considering changing physicians already becuase this one took a phone call and left the room during my examinaiton and the CPT codes or whatever are not coming up online like she has them spelled out (there are letters behind each code) The vaccinations weren't even questioned and didn't feel the need to ask. Am I wrong for wanting to switch so quickly?

Hi ajwkellerstrass

It's funny you mention this as my doctor asked me about this too, a few days ago, since we have an outbreak of pertussis here. He is recommending me to get one as we have young kids and it has been years (and years, I don't even remember!) since my last shot.

Did your shot two year ago also cover you for pertussis? If so, you would not need a booster for another 8 years.

This shot is called the DTaP. This is a diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis shot. I believe this is the "tetanus" shot now, rather than a sole tetanus shot, certainly for children and older people. However, you may also have had the simple Td shot that protects from diphtheria and tetanus. Check to see what kind of shot you had two years ago.

I hope this helps you and I wish a speedy recover for your daughter!

Can't Find Something?

ASK Moderation Guidelines