If my period lasts for 2 weeks, what conditions could this be a symptom of?

By September 10, 2010 - 5:45am

I usually have a regular cycle lasting 5-8 days, that was until i got the depo shot. I was due for my next shot at the end of May beginning of June, and I did not get it, hoping to get my period and hormones back on a normal schedule. I've had 2 periods since then and the first one was in the beginning of July and lasted the normal week. I thought that after that I would be back on my regular schedule, but my next period started about a 2 weeks late and I as of today I have been on it for 2 weeks with a medium to heavy flow everyday. Do you think this could be a side effect of my hormones trying to regain regularity or could this be a symptom of any other medical condition?

Hi E

It is likely from going off the Depo and getting your hormones straightened around, however, lengthy periods like this can cause anemia. In addition, it could be a sign of a hormonal problem. If it doesn't stop soon or it happens again, I would check in with a gyne just to make sure everything is okay.

Thanks for writing, and good luck.

Can't Find Something?

Guide Blogger

ASK Moderation Guidelines