If someone wants a tattoo, how do they pick a safe place to get it?

By June 27, 2014 - 5:11pm

My college-age daughter wants to get a tattoo. I would rather she didn't but she assures me it will be small and discreet. How can I make sure she doesn't suffer any health effects? What should she look for to make sure the tattoo shop is safe and clean? Are there risks to getting tattoos and how can she minimize them?

Hi John Young

Thank you for this post! 

If you daughter is college age, the onus is on her to do her properly, although showing her this page is a great idea! Small and discreet is a good start! 

A tattoo artist needs to be licensed. Depending on the State she lives in, they don't have to be but really - she needs to make sure she is going to a place regulated by the State.

She needs to see the license, compare the names and check the dates. She can check with the State to make sure her artist is licensed. 

She needs to see new needles being opened and ink be single use ink, opened in front of the customer and thrown away afterwards, to avoid contamination. 

She should do this fully sober! No shot of courage here! She needs to be able to make a good decision. I also suggest she gets her tattoo of choice temporarily and wear it for a while, before going permanent. 

The needles and ink should be a known brand and her artist needs to have good hygiene him or herself. They MUST use one-use gloves and the area should be sanitized. 

Here is an article for her to read about the risks associated with getting tattoos. I'm all for them of a person loves them but your daughter should know there are risks involved in any elective procedure: 

Good luck to her, I'm sure she will chose something lovely!