If you are taking the pill, and you are horrible at being consistant with your pills and even miss pills frequently, what are the chances you can get pregnant?

By April 13, 2010 - 4:22pm

Ok, i have always wondered this???

I am currently taking tri-cyclen (21) . And according to my research this pill does not let your ovaries produce eggs at all. correct??? So if this is true, if i miss pills frequently before my ovulation time, does this mean my ovaries will decide to release an egg, therefore increasing my chances of getting pregnant on the pill?? I have always wondered this, as i am having some frequent urination and bloating, and I have not drank any water today, but continue to pee (in large quantity's). Please help!!!!! Thanks!!!

Tenille - Here's a link to information on how contraceptives in pill form work. For average users there is about an eight percent failure rate.

If you're "horrible" at staying on a schedule than you may want to find another birth control method. http://healthcenter.ucdavis.edu/topics/contraception/choosing.html

It would also be beneficial to learn more about emergency contraceptives:

Hope these help! Pat

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Thanks pat!!! The websites you gave me are very informative but it didnt help me understand my main question. If you miss your pill around the time you are to be ovulating, will your overies release an egg???

Are we talking about a single pill? Did you make it up or not? Your answer may change if you mean one pill that you made up (no risk) to two missed pills you made up, to pills not made up at all.

You don't ovulate when you are on the pill. The answer to your question is that it's not likely you'd ovulate so quickly after missing a pill mid cycle but since sperm can live up to 5 days, you can ovulate days later and get pregnant from the sperm still in your body. It has been known to happen. As to the extent of the risk; we cannot say, unfortunately, as each woman's reproductive system works differently!

Best advice - don't miss your pills, make missed ones up as soon as possible and use a backup method.

Good luck-