ask: If you cramp a week before your period, spot then bleed heavy for two days and spot after are you pregnant?

I started cramping a week before my period was due. I was spotting for two days then I began to have heavy bleeding for two days. After the two days of heavy bleeding I began to spot for two days and then nothing. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. My mom and sister thinks it may be to early to detect pregnancy but i think I'm not..although the period was not as heavy as I'm used to and the fact that I don't usually get cramps during my period. Should I take another test? Is something wrong with me?

Anonymous

Hello. I have been on the pill for the better part of the last 2 years, and just came off this cycle. I have not usually had a monthly period while on the pill. From about day 13, my breasts were very tender and sore. Around day 18, I experienced severe cramping. This got myattention. I did some math and realised I had unprotected intercourse with my partner on day 11, 13 and 15. Now on day 25, I am increasingly exhausted and emotional. (These 'days' are based on when I would usually be taking my pills). What is the likelihood that I would ovulate the first month off the pill? Is there any way to know when I might have ovulated if I did? How soon would a blood test at the doctor's office be accurate?
Thank you.

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

A blood test can detect hCG levels about 11 days following conception. The hCG hormone is produced only during pregnancy. It is more accurate than a urine test.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi I'm new to all this I already have a 3yr old daughter but am confused as it turned out with her that I had a period the first month I was pregnant with her. This months period was strange I was 2 days late the first day was a little spotting the second day was medium third was light then I had 3 days of spotting which is really unuasual for me Normally I would start heavy for 2/3 days and that would be it. Is there a possibility I could be pregnant I haven't been on any birth control for nearly 2 yrs
Thanks in advance

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It doesn't sound like you are pregnant, based on the period you describe. But if you are not using birth control and are sexually active, you may want to take a test. 

Also, just as an aside, if you have been having regular sex for two years and are not pregnant but would like to be at some stage, you should talk to your doctor about this. 

Anonymous

Hi, me and my boyfriend had sex 3/8/14, we had protected sex starting off with the we did it again and for got to use protection. I took two home prgnancy test they both came out negative but it was to early to tell. It has been 19 days since i had sex and ive been having symptoms of being pregnant. I have sore breast, cramping, tired, and i go pee more then usual. But for some reason yesterday i got my period which is unusuall because i am so irregular and my last period was feb.7 and i wont be expecting my next one until mid april if i wouldnt of gotten yesterday. Can u please give me some answers on if i might be pregnant or not?

Your period (even if you are irregular) is an indication that you are not pregnant. You can take another test to make sure but it's very unlikely you are pregnant. Make sure to use birth control every single time though, to make sure you remain not pregnant. 

Anonymous

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me i was due on the 21.3.14 but came on 5days later i experienced spotting and the day i came on i was bleeding brown discharge which turned into a heavy period i had cramps from the time i was due on but when i came on i had a hour of unbearable cramps ive been having unprotected sex and was wondering could i be pregnant?

You are not pregnant, now, because of the heavy bleeding. It is very possible that you were pregnant, but spontaneously aborted or miscarried, because of the heavy bleeding and intense cramping.

Anonymous, please contact your gynecologist to schedule an office visit. You should be examined.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hello, I wonder if you can help! My partner and I are trying for a baby, since nov 2012. Started my periods young at 10 years old, always very regular, 30 day cycle and a 5-7 day bleed always. On the Depo pro-vera injection for 12 years and came off march 2011 and had a period immediately, then had a year of no contraceptive pill to give my body a break, regular monthly cycle for this whole time. Then went on contraceptive patch for 6 months, then partner and I decided to start trying for a baby, so I stopped and again had 2 periods straight away in nov 2012, then again in December. But then in Jan 2012 I started having 2 periods per month and this continued to happen every month, went to my GP, after 2 scans and blood tests, diagnosed with small cysts, last blood test done end of oct 2013 and cyst gone. normal period 5-7 day bleed in November, then fell pregnant December, miscarried 2-3 weeks later in Jan. Strange period in Jan- 10 days very light, then after 30 days came on this month and I have had 7 days of very light again, but then this morning I am very heavy!!! I am 37, but have been told after having blood tests I have a good supply of eggs and they are all good eggs and that I am ovulating too, so I am just hoping this irregular bleeding is to do with the miscarriage? or result of the cysts???? cant get an appointment with my GP, so thought I would write on here.
Many thanks in advance
Kxxxx

Thanks for writing! 

I'm sorry you are having such difficulties and very sorry to read of your miscarriage. 

It looks like your body is having a hard time adjusting to a regular cycle from being on and off birth control and then a recent miscarriage. The bleeding in Jan may have been residue from the miscarriage or a light period. 

Cysts can and do cause bleeding and/or pain and irregularity and cysts can come and go on a monthly basis. Some stay and need to be removed, some last only a matter of weeks before being absorbed back into the body. 

At 37 you are certainly not too 'old' to have a baby but you are getting within the range of when it becomes more difficult so getting pregnant sooner rather than later is a good idea - I know you are trying! 

Why can't you get an appointment with your doctor? I think it might be time to see a specialist rather than a GP who is not as well educated or experienced in this. An OB/GYN is the person you need to be talking to, I'd suggest to stop seeing a general practitioner and see a specialist instead. 

Will you keep us posted? 

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: