If you get pregant while using birth control, do you still have a withdrawal period?

By August 22, 2010 - 10:30am

I have been on Sprintec for a month now and I am curious to know if at the very slight chance of becoming pregnant while using the pill, will you still have a missed period as a symptom of pregnancy. I know that while on the pill one does not have a "true period" they receive what is known as the withdrawal period. So if in fact someone gets pregnant on the pill is it possible to still have your withdrawal period? My boyfriend and I had sex the night of my first inactive pill. I really am a worry wart, I had what i think is my first withdrawal period and its obviously completely different from my regular periods--much lighter (instead of my heavy bleeding) and shorter (only 3 days, as opposed to my usual 6 before I was on Sprintec). This makes me wonder, is this the pill actually working? or a slight chance that a pregnancy has taken place. I guess I am worrying because I am scared we did not wait long enough to have sex for the birth control to really settle and work with my body.

A withdrawal period means your birth control is working! If you have a withdrawal period from your hormonal birth control, it also means you are not pregnant.

Anytime you have sex, there is a slight chance of pregnancy. The only 100% sure way to NOT get pregnant is from abstinence. However, the pill is as close as you can get...it is more than 99% effective at preventing pregnancy, so you are doing a GREAT thing by practicing safer sex (from pregnancy).