Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

If you have a blood clot and can't take blood thinners. Can the blood clot disolve? What if it busts it is in the stomach. How can you treat it??

By Anonymous October 15, 2010 - 11:06am
Rate This

Patient has varisis, and a hernia blocking some of her small intestine, and the doctor can't give her blood thinners, What can be done?? Desperate

Add a Comment2 Comments

Hi Anonymous

Are you talking about esophageal varices? There are treatments for them, although they can be difficult to treat. It depends partially on the cause. Usually there are other underlying medical or alcohol issues that cause the varices. Trauma or anticoagulants can cause them to open and bleed profusely, and that can even be fatal.

The underlying cause of the hernia and varices will have a lot to do with the appropriate treatment. If you can share more detail, it will be easier to provide resources to you. If you are not comfortable sharing it publicly, feel free to privately message and we'll help you find the information you need.

Thank you for writing.

October 15, 2010 - 6:52pm
HERWriter Guide

Hi Anon

Thanks for your post and welcome!

I am assuming that you have a blood clot in your stomach and cannot take certain treatments for it?

Firstly, do you know why you have an abdominal blood clot? Does it originate there or has it traveled there from somewhere else, do you know? Do you know why you have it? Birth control...protein deficiency...or something else.... do you know?

Without use of a blood thinner, you are limited. Can you tell us what condition to had that stops you from taking one?

Other treatment options - have you heard of the treatment option called Rapid Lysis? It's a suctioning device that has seen success. You can read more about it here: http://www.acr.org/SecondaryMainMenuCategories/NewsPublications/FeaturedCategories/CurrentHealthCareNews/More/RapidlysistechniqueremovesDVT,preventspost-thromboticsyndromeDoc282.aspx

There are things you can do in your every day life. Increase your fish oil intake. Use warm wraps to your abdomen. Take ibuprofen or acetaminophen and limit alcohol intake.

Also ask your specialist about a procedure called Tissue plasminogen activator (TPA and TNK).

Many take a wait-and-see approach to see if the clot is reabsorbed back into the body. Scans can help with this process. Are you having scans to see where you stand?

If a clot bursts, you will need to get to the ER straight away. Your doctor can give you advice and protocol in the event this happens to you and your treatment will be based on your particular circumstances.

Please also read our extensive Blood Clot page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/blood-clots

Has this helped you, Anon?

October 15, 2010 - 1:49pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Can't Find Something?

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK Moderation Guidelines

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!