If you have HPV and continue to have vaginal and oral sex with your partner will you keep activating the virus? Also how do they test for it in the mouth, anus, vulva, other areas and what do they do if you do have it there?

I am a 41 year old woman who was first diagnosed with HPV and moderate dysplasia at age 24. I had a LEEP procedure and never had another abnormal PAP or positive HPV test until this year. I will have a colposcopy tomorrow. At the time I was diagnosed at 24 I had been in 2 relationships, one with my high school love for 7 years who had cheated on me multiple times and a new 6 mo. relationship with my husband who I married. 15 mos. ago my high school love and I reconnected and became intimate again, and now I have tested positive for atypical cells and HPV again. I figure it is probably not a coincidence. He is the love of my life and I need to know if being with him will cause what has been dormant to reoccur over and over? We are still married to other people, unhappily, but am staying with our spouses until our children are older. He does not have a sexual relationship with his wife, and I have intercourse using a condom with my spouse every few months. I am certain my husband has been faithful. I do not want to go into the moral issue of what I am doing as I have no defense. I love my husband, but the other man is my soulmate and true love and has realized the same about me after all these years. I just don't know now how we manage the HPV and still enjoy the intimacy we desire without developing cervical, anal, mouth, vulvar....cancers?? What do we do?

I have recently been diagnosed with hpv I have had normal paps all my life so this was a bit shocking. I am scheduled for a punch biopsy in 2 weeks. I wasn't told how bad just that my test came back positive for hpv and because of my age I'm 44 that they want to do this biopsy. My boyfriend and I are concerned if we continue to have sex does that lessen the chance of my body fighting this off? Any information would be helpful.

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You should have or need to schedule a follow-up appointment with your gynecologist to discuss the biopsy results and have a discussion about your concerns.

I will gladly provide you with general information that hopefully will be helpful to you.

Human papillomavirus (HPV) is the most common sexually transmitted infection in the United States. It is so common that nearly all sexually active men and women get it at some point in their lives. There are many different types of HPV. Some types can cause health problems including genital warts and cancers.

Anonymous, a punch biopsy is a skin biopsy. Why is that being done?

Most people with HPV do not know they are infected and never develop symptoms or health problems from it. Some people find out they have HPV when they get genital warts. Women may find out they have HPV when they get an abnormal Pap test result (during cervical cancer screening)

Are you scheduled for a cervical biopsy?

There is no treatment for the virus itself. However, there are treatments for the health problems that HPV can cause such as genital warts, cervical precancer and other HPV related cancers.

I do not think being sexually active will have any impact on the status of the virus. In most cases, HPV goes away on its own and does not cause any health problems. But when HPV does not go away, it can cause health problems like genital warts and cancer.

Let us know how things go,

I am a 23 year old femal and this will be the second time i have hpv. i have a son that is 7 mnths old. i first had hpv when i was 20 then after having my son at 22 i was diagnosed with it after going for my 6 mnth check up. i wanna know if it gets wores when it comes back? and is there any chance i wont be able not to have any more kids even if it not cancerous? any more info will help. n you may say im kinda dence but i dnt understand some of thoes big words yall are using.

HPV can remain in your system for life (for others the virus may burn out, so to speak) but this doesn't mean you can't have more children. You just need to have annual checkups. It doesn't get worse when it comes back. Most HPV is not cancerous but the HPV that is, causes cervical cancer, so that's why you need annual pap tests.

With annual tests, I think you'll be fine. If anything suspicious shows, your doctor will be on top of it.

A man can be tested for HPV. But men rarely insist and that it is what it takes for doctors to test men who lack symptoms, because the testing is more difficult than for a woman and currently not Government sanctioned. After my doctor told me this, I got my boyfriend to be tested. He has one of the oncological HPVs. So do I, with high grade dysplasia according to my last PAP smear.

In addition, there is no test for men anyway.

Another doctor with misinformation. Men can indeed get HPV of the penis, the anus and the throat. Obviously your doctor needs an update. I have already explained viral loads in my post above. That should answer your question. You cannot be cured so it's not as though you are and he's reinfecting you. HPV goes dormant but does NOT go away. It can recur at any point in the future, weeks, months years and even decades. Most infection go away w/in 2 years however it is the persistent infections which can progress to cancer of the cervix, vagina, vulva or anus in women. That was a pretty long post and significant info like just what "abnormal" was on your pap is left out completely so is your age both of which are important because treatment guidelines are based on them.
You made a very signficant comment. What most people fail to think about is that when you have sex with somone you are also having sex with everyone that THEY ever had sex with as well.
I'm sorry but this is very difficult to follow with all this info. Can you please just give diagnosis dates and pap and HPV dates and results so I can attempt to make sense of just where you are and how long you've actually been dealing with this. That would be very helpful.

Anonymous (reply to Bonnie Diraimondo RN)

Hi I am very concerned I had two pimples on my penisse thought is herpesse but is not after being checked by my family doctor he suggested for urine test I am scared I been married for 3 years y wife just told me that she has the hpv

You may have genital warts. You need to be seen by a doctor since your wife has the virus.

My partner contracted the genital wart HPV strain 4 years ago and told me about it before we became sexually active due to his scars from wart removal. He explained to me that he can't pass it on since all of his warts have been cleared for years, so being as close as we are we rarely used protection which also resulted in me being 11 weeks pregnant at the moment.. Well, about 3 weeks ago he noticed a familiar, tiny wart right above the start of his penis in the pubic area. He immediately freaked out and contacted his mother who in return said we both needed to seek professional help and get tested to make sure I was clear. The STD testing at our local health department was booked for weeks, so we've been waiting. Well, the other day while washing my body in the shower, I noticed a tiny bump right on the outside of the opening to my vagina. I immediately jumped out of the shower to get a better look and saw exactly what I had seen on my partner's pubic area: a tiny, flesh colored wart. I scanned my vagina with my fingers and hand to see if I could feel any more and I could feel one more tiny bump in my birth canal probably right in the center between my cervix and vagina opening. My question is since I'm obviously infected with HPV and I'm with someone who also has it, is having unprotected sex bad for us? I know it's much more serious in women since it can cause cancer, but he's my husband and this is only our first child, so clearly we're going to keep having unprotected sex if we want to expand our family. I want to know how HPV is going to affect us and our health.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide