If you have a total hysterectomy & immediately start HRH, what happens when you go off HRH?

By Anonymous January 16, 2009 - 11:32am

I want to know if I stop taking estrogen, will I begin to experience hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms? I am 54, had the hysterectomy 7 years ago, and have been taking estrogen ever since.

I had a total hysterectomy at age 44, went on 2 mg Estradial. At age 50, I decided to quit cold turkey. It has been 4 months and the hot flashes are terrible (day and especially night). Trying to decide to "sweat" it out (haha) or go back on. How long does it take for the replacement therapy to leave your circulation? Will starting it up again stop the flashes within a day or so? I should admit I drink a glass of red wine with dinner 4-5 days/week. Could that be the cause of these 7-9 flashes/day?

A woman should drink less than 14 units of alcohol per week and you are only drinking about 5 so you should be ok. However, if you are Asian, you may flush with alcohol more than non Asian people.

As far as when HRT should leave your system after stopping it? It depends on how much you were on and something like Premarin can take longer than other HRTs that are not as strong. How long you were on it will also be a factor. But it should certainly be out by four months.

So consequently we can't tell you how long it would take for HRT to kick in but I'd say 24 hours might be a bit too optimistic. However,  it can often start to be felt within the first week to ten days.

I hope this helps, I'm sorry you are having such a hard time.

I also had a complete hysterectomy and went on the hornone patch. Was on them for 5 years, wanted to get off them so we lowered the dose but in the mean time I went to an accupuncturist and he said my adrenal system was out of whack and that is why I needed the hormones still. After just 3 visits I was not only off my patches but off my Ambien as well! I am RX free for the first time in 5 years. Balance your body. treat the host (your body) and it will take care of itself!

(reply to Anonymous)

I have been on premarin for 15 years now, due to a total hysterectomy due to cancer, I think I will wean myself off. My gynecologist/oncologist said it is very beneficial due to the fact it protects your heart and bones.

I had a complete hysterectomy 5 years ago at the age of 44 almost 45. Dr said to stay on Premrin till at least 50. My family Dr didnt want me on it at all. But I stayed on it. I turned 50 last month. I stopped taking the Premrin 8 days ago. So far no symptoms. I too was wondering if being on the Premrin had stopped menapause and I'm about to go thru hell??

Thank you for sharing your story, you will help many other women!

I had a complete hysterectomy in 1990 & was put on Premarin. About 7 yrs ago my Dr lowered the dosage to 0.3. Two months ago they found out I had type a hypo displasia which is pre cancer cells of the breast & a very tiny 3.mm nodule. No history of breast cancer in family but I got so scared after surgeon told me it probably came from the estrogen. I weaned myself off by taking one every other day the first month then every two days the second & now I am totally off. I cannot sleep, hot sweats & overall feel lousy but will not go back due to the surgery on the breast which was just awful. A hard core biopsy & then a wide lobe lumpectomy which resulted in general anestetics & several stitches in the one breast. Now they have to monitor me every 6 months so assure I am not generating any more pre cancer cells. Thank goodness this was caught so early I acted so fast.

I have a similar situation, and am very upset about it. Complete hysterectomy in 1990 and on Premarin . I have questioned the GYN several times about this. I I just found out that I have a 1.2 cm nodule found on mammogram, and going to a surgeon tomorrow. I stopped my Premarin today. My Mom did have a mastectomy at 76. I am 65. I am still praying that the nodule is not cancer. Wouldn't a surgeon that Specializes in breast cancer be better?

I said a prayer also.

I had a complete hysterectomy (both ovaries) in June 2009 and my doctor started me right away on Enjuvia. I took the hormone for 6 months then decided I did not want to take them anymore. I have not experienced any symptoms except my breast seem to be sore. Could this be caused by not taking my hormone?

Menopause Guide