ask: if you miss 2 birth control pills during week 2 and have sex on those days can you get pregnant?

Anonymous

Hello!
I have missed my first 2 weeks of birth control and have had sex with my husband almost every day and didn't use any method or backup. What are my chances of being pregnant?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

A woman has about a 20% chance of pregnancy every month when she has unprotected sex.

Thanks! Normally when I miss three days of pills I start to bleed but this time I didnt.

Monistar

Hey Susan,
Well now I have had irregular bleeding for about 3 days now which has stopped. Should I still take an at hpt? I have been having symptoms of a pregnancy but I think it could be because I missed my pills. I'm assuming the irregular bleeding could mean that I am not pregnant ?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Monistar)

Hi again! 

I've pretty much answered this question as well as I can. Just take a pregnancy test and you will know for sure.

Monistar

Hi Susan, I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and missed one pill the night of, and another pill the next day. These are both in my 3rd week. Once I realized what happened I took one pill that came after the two I missed. How likely is it for me to become pregnant? I read that sperm can live in my body for up to 72 hours.

Hi Monistar

You should have taken both your missed pills, and your next pill all at once and used protection for the next 7 days. 

I can't tell you how likely pregnancy is, only that your risk has been raised. You're still safer than had you not been on the pill at all. 

Your period will likely be along as usual, you may have some irregular bleeding due to missing two pills.  Continue taking your pills as usual.

Hello, i forgot to take my pill friday and saturday (2nd week of the pill pack) but then when i took my sunday pill i took friday and saturdays as well but had sex with my boyfriend. And we don't have sex often. Do i still have a high chance of getting pregnant even though i took all 3 of my pills ?

Monistar (reply to Susan Cody)

So does irregular bleeding mean that I am not pregnant? In all I missed 3 in a row after having unprotected sex. Took one pill and missed the other one. So basically 4 missed pills altogether. Could I have still gotten pregnant? Think I want to take my test now.

- Monistar

Hi again

Yes, pregnancy is possible if you miss that many pills.  A pregnancy test is accurate about 12-14 days after you have sex. Sometimes even a day earlier than that. If it has been that long then you can go ahead. 

Do you support the idea of a single woman using In Vitro Fertilization to have a baby?: