If you were bitten by a tick that was not engorged,would it be a good idea to take antibiotics??

By June 1, 2012 - 5:01am

Should I have a blood test for lyme disease??

Hi huggymomma

Thanks for your post and question; it's a good one!

I just went through this myself with my child - I picked a non-engored tick from his thigh. I did call his pediatrician who advised that a course of antibiotics was not necessary but cleaning the area with an antibiotic was. I also placed a band -aid containing an antibiotic ointment on the area too.

We kept an eye on his leg and nothing came of it. But we also kept the tick - a matter of fact, I only threw it out yesterday, I saved it for about 6 weeks. This is a good idea in case the tick does have Lyme Disease and it can be tested.

So the general rule of thumb is to monitor the area well - look for tell tale signs of being infected (click here: Lyme Disease : for these signs and other pertinent information and keep the area clean with an antibiotic lotion.

I hope this helps!

Lyme Disease