If you were a single woman and wanted to have sex would you go to a male prostitute?

By January 25, 2010 - 9:29am

I pose this question to the EmpowHER community because I just read that Nevada State just certified the first male prostitute for their state. He only has sex with women and the state has certified him to be clean of all sexual transmitted diseases. Men have used prostitutes for 100's of years but I wonder how many women would prefer to go to a "professional" who they knew was clean from diseases and good at their craft vs. going to a bar to pick up some one which could possibly bring many hazards.

Susan-You bring up some very good points, however if masturbation was not satisfying enough and you had to choose between the prostitute or some one in a bar I would pick the prostitute as I do feel this would be a safer option. Additionally, I would be on birth control.

I had not given it much thought until I read this post. I hate the thought of having to pay for sex , but at this point if your going to "hook up" for the sole purpose of enjoyment and do not want to be at risk of a STD, why not. At this time I am in no rush to get into a relationship so all around it seems to be a good option.

Hi Kelley,

I read about this too!

Female prostitution has been going on for tens of millenia. Aside from Shamanism, I do think it's the oldest profession!

I totally disagree on the state and their testing of diseases, for several reasons.

1. They are not tested daily and they have sex with multiple women daily.
2. Condoms don't protect against all diseases.
3. Condoms don't break often but when they do, pregnancy is a great risk. Is there some sort of paternity clause? Will we need Maury Povich's classy interventions?!
4. HPV is transmitted skin to skin, not via body fluids. Most men have no symptoms and there is no HPV test for men. The odds of a male prostitute having undetected HPV is huge. Are women ok with taking that risk? Is the risk really much lower than picking up a guy at a bar and using condoms, since there is no testing for that disease which is the most common out there?
5. I don't have moral issues with it but I don't want women kidding themselves into thinking that it's somehow safer. I disagree with that. Even prostitutes at the Bunny Ranch and porn stars (who are all "state tested" for disease have come down with HPV, chlamydia, gonorrhea and other diseases/infections.)
6. We're not even "only as safe as our last test for STDs/STI's" because diseases can lie dormant and undetectable in a man but manifest themselves more quickly in a woman.

All I can say is buyer beware!