IIndolent Lymphocytic Leukaemia.

I have just been diagnosed with the above but live in Greece and the doctor's english was not very good. Can someone explain to me exactly what it is.

Anon - Thanks for writing and seeking more information about your medical condition. I have Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, and know personally that getting a leukemia diagnosis is difficult. While it's often shown as a children's cancer, most cases of leukemia are diagnosed in adults - about 90 per cent. Please be assured that there are many new treatment methods today, and greater knowledge of how to treat leukemias.

We have an EmpowHER member, Andrew Schorr, who has been in remission for 14 years following treatment for CLL and he also fathered a child after his diagnosis. His son is now 13, and both father and son are very healthy.

The term "indolent" is used in the medical community to mean causing little pain and slow growing. It is extremely important that you be under the care of an oncologist/hematologist who specializes in treating blood cancers so that you get the appropriate treatment and so that your responses are appropriately measured.

The article Susan provided has some good information about this disease.
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in the US provides helpful information for newly diagnosed patients here: http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=4221

LLS also provides specific, detailed information on CLL here: http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=7059

I have seen patients from Greece comment in the online groups for patients with CML and they have said it is hard to get information in your country. Please let me know how I can help you and I would be happy to track down information. Above all please know that you are not alone and there are many others who can help you in this journey in the days, weeks and months ahead.

Take care,

Thank you so much for your question and welcome. I'm so sorry you have been diagnosed with this condition and I you the speediest of recoveries.

The best way for us to explain your condition to you is to link you to some articles and to our special page that talks about about this kind of leukemia:

On the left side of the page you will find all the information about what exactly it is, symptoms, treatments etc. The middle of the page will show the articles on the matter and other areas that can help.

I will also let our Cancer Guide, Pat Elliott know you have questions - she is also living with leukemia at the moment and she has a wealth of knowledge to share.

Have a good read of our page and Pat will be here to help you within a day or two.

Can't Find Something?

Guide Blogger

ASK Moderation Guidelines