I'm getting my period twice a month. Is that normal?

By Anonymous April 8, 2011 - 10:52am

In addition to the helpful information provided in the above comment, my question is how old are you? Young women who are just beginning to menstruate and women who are perimenopausal can have irregular periods. During the perimenopausal period, a woman can have two periods in a month or miss a period for a month. Also, how long has this been going on? I agree that charting or keeping track of your periods is a good idea. Mark the calendar on the first day of each period. Count the days in between each period. This information will be helpful when you talk with your healthcare provider.

I am a registered nurse and one of the Tampax and Always women's health experts. I saw your post and want to help. You said you are getting two periods a month and I am wondering if this is a change from what you had been experiencing. If so and you are concerned, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your health care professional (HCP) to make him or her aware of the changes in your period pattern.

Below is some information about the average menstrual cycle to compare with what you are experiencing. Hopefully you will find that your cycle is actually within the norm:

1) The menstrual cycle can vary from 21 to 35 days and still be normal. 28 days is the average.
2) Most women average about 3 to 5 tablespoons of blood loss when they have their period.
3) The average length of a period is 5 to 7 days. Some periods may only last 2 days and others may last for 8 days.

What you may also want to do is track your period on a calendar to make certain you are truly having 2 periods a month and aren't just in a shorter cycle pattern that may overlap months. Below is a link to information on the Always.com site about charting your cycle, as you seek to accurately track what you are experiencing. If you decide to see your HCP, bring your tracking information along as it will be helpful information for your HCP to understand what you are experiencing.