Im Not sure if it epilepsy?

By February 28, 2011 - 11:00am

To start off with im very concerned, my cousin is now taking measures with the doctor. she has alittle boy that ever since he was a baby he had like a series of convulsions, and well she and the doctors thought it was due to very high fevers, btu tiodayy my nephew woke up regular routine, as always breakfast, hes 8 years old well while eating breakfast she called me yelling, sounded very nervous and desperate told me that her boy, fainted and seconds after he was convulsioning? he was trembling and shaking and she thought that his convulsions were done, from when he was a little baby, but appearently they came back, althoug he didnt have a fever, what could be the caus eof this? does he have epilepsy? and what could be the possoble causes, or the REASON WHY THE DOCTORS DIDNT DETECT NOTHIGN ODD? and just told her that they were due to his fevers? please help, im very concerned for my nephew and his life and my cousin, whom is vervewrecked, and scared for his life!, thank you i appreciate it.

Hi Bashful

Thanks for your post and for looking out for your cousin and nephew. We cannot tell you if you child was having what's known as febrile seizures due to fevers but you can read more about that here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/febrile-seizures and we have an ongoing thread on it here, where family members talk about their experiences: http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/my-toddler-had-febrile-fever-induced-seizurehave-you-experienced

But since he is now 8 years old he needs to be evaluated in depth by a qualified doctor. Is your cousin telling the doctors of the extent of these seizures? "Epilepsy" covers a multitude of seizure-types but the child needs testing to see where these seizures are coming from.

Seizures can be fatal, as I'm sure you know. I cannot tell you why the doctors have not figured this out yet but I advise her to not wait any longer and insist her child get a full and detailed evaluation. A simple medication regime could be all he needs to be healthy again but if he needs other treatments, they should begin as soon as possible.

Here is a link to our epilepsy page: http://www.empowher.com/condition/epilepsy

Please keep us posted, we'd love to remain on this journey with all of you.