I'm only 23 and I think I have a hormone imbalance or something. I'm super moody,up and down for 2 weeks out of the month and then i start and I'm happy again for a couple weeks,what should I do?

I don't take medicine, I don't like medicine really, I take vitamins if necessary. I'm not on birth control,so none of that could be the problem. I'm a healthy person for the most part. I'm a server, I walk atleast 3 miles or more a day and i go to concerts, music shows once a week usually and will dance all night long, I rarely drink carbonated beverages or eat fast food, only when I'm having craving. a few times a month maybe,i generally eat vegetables,fruits,pasta oh but i love cheese but i dont think my diet is the problem. But I don't have a big desire to do much. I feel lazy outside of work. I sleep atleast 9 hrs or more sometimes a night, and its hard for me to get up. I get really moody sometimes, and I hate it. I get lost in my head, or I'll snap at somebody and just be angry or super sad and then a few hous later I'll be fine. I do get hot flashes a good bit,my body will get tingly sometimes and I get super hot,then I'll get cold for a second and then I'm fine. It will last for a couple weeks. It's like I'm not myself for about two weeks and then right before I start I get happy again, I have more energy, I love everybody again, i reached the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. but that doesnt last for long before i get moody again. I'm just really tired of all this. I would like to be consistent with my moods because I think I could get a lot more accomplished and be able to move farther foward in my life. I'm a smart,wise young female who could do so much if it wasnt such a roller coaster ride within myself. oh and i love having sex sometimes, i like it when the other person is happy and it feels good but i dont really desire it and I've never had an orgasm and I've been sexually active for 7 yrs. I know I just threw a lot down, maybe you can help, I dunno, point me somewhere. thanks. oh and i get super bloated and gassy and will feel like ive gained 10 pounds for a couple weeks at a time sometimes. when I was young I just had really really bad cramps and would be sad or moody for a couple of days, and as i get older it just gets worse and lasts longer.

I m 23 and I have the same problem and I can't take it anymore can u plz tell me what can I do , do I need to go to the doctor ? And I have another problem when ever this happen to me I feel something going on in back of my head . And I just had my blood test done they didn't find nothing everything was normal so u think it just because of hormonal imbalance , and I had nipple discharge problem to when ever I squeeze them to look little water comes out of it, and my doctor said I be fine in a month or so she didn't gave me any medicine .

I also have all these symptoms, fatigue, weight gain, mood swings, hot flashes ( i cant even tolerate 90 degree weather), more migraines, also my period i guess isnt considered irregular but its very irregular for me. I used to be like clock work, almost to the hour, now its taking longer and longer for my period to start, but i have increasing pre menstrual pains, and menstrual pains are getting worse for the 1st 2 days, and bleeding is heavy. Then after that 2nd day, its just light spotting. Its changing more and more, also, me and my husband have been married 2 years, and Im 23 years old, and we like hardly ever have sex. I never want it. And its taking its toll on our marriage and the last time we did have sex it was very painful. All these issues came about 6 months after our son was born.

Hi, I am 21 and...I could have written what you did. Nothing in your description of the repeated cycle is absent in my life. I, like you have no insurance. I suppose I could go to a clinic but again,like you... I don't feel a clinic will suffice and have been holding out. I'm sure I'll get over it,be smart, and go. These past 6months have really put mw over the edge though and it is affecting my life terribly. I realize this is a yr old forum, but your unfortunes sound much too similar to mine to pass up asking... what happened? did you find an answer,or even better...a solution?

(reply to Anonymous)

I hope we hear back from the original poster, too, but in the meantime, you mentioned that you have the exact same symptoms and have been hesitating from going to a walk-in clinic.

Have you been keeping good notes on your symptoms? Are you able to move past your fear and go to a walk-in clinic this week, and let us know how it goes?

ugh are you sure you are not me? I've been having those SAME symptoms since my 4year old was born. I am not on BC because it made the symptoms so much worse. They have tested me for every hormone imbalance known to man and nothing. The dr.s have me on Celexa and during my angry time i am supposed to increase the dose to two pills. It doesn't help. I've even had my OB/GYN tell me I was making up the symptoms and I just had a bad case of OCD because I made a list of my symptoms. It is HORRIABLE! Nothing helps. I hope you find out something that works. I will pray for you!!!!!

Hey there. MissAshley- I can TOTALLY relate. At age 22 was when I was experiencing much of what you are- only my periods were never like clockwork and hardley ever showed up before 6 weeks. Anwyways- I am now 28 and JUST NOW seem to have answers to my problems. Im REALLY proud of you for inquiring so early on. I always thought it was ME and it was all in my head. What I have may be VERY likey that you dont but yours coudl be VERY much hormonally related i.e... estrogen dominance. I have been going thru early menopause which could be related to the autoimmune deficiencies in my family. Im not saying that to scare you but just to let you know what your going thru is not in your head. I really hope you find the answers you need for your condition and I hope you NEVER think its all in your head b/c it isnt.

Hi, Miss Ashley,

Going to a walk-in clinic is a good place to start. The doctors there would probably have more general knowledge -- as opposed to specialized knowledge about a particular field, like hormones or gynecological concerns. However, if you go to a clinic and tell them that you have specific symptoms that make you wonder if you have PMDD, for instance, they'll know how to proceed. At least with testing. If they can't do something, perhaps they'll know where to refer you where it doesn't cost a lot of money.

Some walk-in clinics allow you to make appointments ahead of time. You could call ahead and see if there is a doctor that has any specific gynecological experience or specialty and ask to see her or him.

The downside of a walk-in clinic is that unless you can get an appointment with a specific doctor, you won't have consistency of care the way you would if you could go to your own doctor for consultation and testing. However, without insurance, you have to do the best that you can do, right?

I want to pat you on the back for being so aware of your body and being an advocate for yourself as regards to your health, hormones and well-being. It may take you a bit to find out for sure what's going on, but you're on the right track.

If we can help any more, please don't hesitate to write back and update us. Others in your same situation will be very interested to learn whatever you find out.

thankyou so much for the information. sounds like that could very well be it. i dont have health insurance. do u think going to a walk-in clinic would be ok? would the doctors there be just as informative as far as medicine and tests are concerned. i worry about stuff like that. or would a doctor who specializes in that type of stuff be better?

Dear MissAshley

Thanks so much for your question and welcome to EmpowHer, we're glad to have you!

No worries on giving us lots of detail, it's always better to have lots of information!

There could be many, many reasons for feeling like you do. Let's talk about a few of them:

The bloated, gassy feeling could be food allergies - do you have any, that you are aware of? Any family members have them?

You could also have a bad case of PMS where bloating can be a real issue for you.
There is also a condition known as PMDD - Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Our Encyclopedia has some really great information about this condition that I'll put here for you:

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder, or PMDD, is a condition that occurs just prior to menstruation and causes severe emotional problems. PMDD is characterized by significant depression, irritability, and tension. PMDD is much more severe than premenstrual syndrome, or PMS.

While PMS affects about 75% of women, PMDD affects 2%-10% of all women during their reproductive years. With treatment, the condition can be managed. Some women no longer experience any symptoms once the condition has been diagnosed and treated.

The factors that cause a woman to experience PMDD rather than the mild symptoms that often accompany menstruation are not known. Some possible causes of PMDD include:

◦Hormonal changes caused by high hormones in latter half of a normal (ovulatory) menstrual cycle
◦Traumatic life events

Menstruation causes many hormone changes which may play a role in PMDD.

Risk Factors
A risk factor is something that increases your chance of getting a disease or condition.

The following factors increase your chance of developing PMDD:

◦Family history of PMDD
◦Family history of severe PMS
◦Suffering from major depression
◦Suffering from seasonal affective disorder (SAD)

Symptoms include:

◦Extreme sadness
◦Frequent crying
◦Feelings of anxiousness or nervousness
◦Unusually strong cravings for certain foods
◦Difficulty concentrating or paying attention
◦Panic attacks
◦Mood swings
◦Fatigue or lack of energy
◦Physical symptoms include sore breasts, headaches, joint or muscle pain, swelling, and bloating

To be diagnosed with PMDD, usually at least five symptoms need to be present. Symptoms typically begin 10-14 days prior to the start of menstruation, and begin to subside once menstruation begins.

Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam. He'll ask detailed questions about your symptoms, and when they occur.

You may also be asked to keep a chart or record of your symptoms, when they occur, and the severity of each. Your doctor will compare your symptoms to your menstrual cycle to determine if you suffer from PMDD.

Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you. Treatment options include:

Lifestyle Changes
Regular exercise 3-5 times per week has been known to help reduce symptoms of PMDD. Plenty of rest, along with a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can also help manage symptoms of PMDD. Diet should also exclude sugar, caffeine, and alcohol.

Antidepressants called SSRIs (eg, Paxil, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lexapro) and nutritional supplements can help manage symptoms of PMDD.

To help reduce your chance of getting PMDD, take the following steps:

◦Get plenty of exercise and rest
◦Eat a well-balanced diet
◦Manage stress

MissAshley, we can't diagnose you, of course, only suggest a path to take. But does PMDD seem like something you may be dealing with?

Another idea I have may be that you are suffering from undiagnosed depression. Our Enclyclopeida defines depression as "a mental illness characterized by feelings of profound sadness and lack of interest in enjoyable activities. Depression is not the same as a blue mood. It is a persistent low mood that interferes with the ability to function and appreciate things in life. It may cause a wide range of symptoms, both physical and emotional. It can last for weeks, months, or years. People with depression rarely recover without treatment."

Please visit our Depression page here and tell me if it sounds like something you may have : http://www.empowher.com/condition/depression

Click on the causes, symptoms, treatment options etc, and tell me what you think.

Now onto the hormones. Have you had them checked? You may definitely have a hormone imbalance that you're dealing with and you may need treatment to get back to normal levels again. A doctor can do this fairly simple test at the office and the results do not take long - usually a few days to a week.

Please review all I've talked about and let me know your thoughts. We can then talk further and get you back on track again. At 23, you should be out there, enjoying life and living it to the fullest! It's very unfair that you are dealing with such problems at such a young age and we'll be here to support you and point you in the right direction to get you back to living your best life again. I'd especially like you to really look into PMDD.

I hope to hear from you soon, MissAshley!

thank you so much for your advice, i am only twenty years old and i thought i was obsolutely crazy, although i do reccomend that your statement about talking to your doctor should be change from "he" they haha thankyou!

Mood Disorders

Mood Disorders Guide