I'm scared this has never happend

By September 20, 2009 - 6:28am

Ok my name is Angel, I'm 20 years old and I have never had an irregular period until recently. My periods usually last 3-4 days and come once a month well in aug. i came twice in one month i did mess up with my birth control for a couple of days but i got back right now the 2nd period i had in sept was 7 days long it stopped and came back 1 1/2 weeks later and now in sept i have been on my period for a whole 8 days and counting... im not hurting but very upset that my periods are like this n i dont understand why can some please help me ASAP P.S. THEIR VERY HEAVY

Hi AngelH

Thanks for your question and welcome to EmpowHer!

I can imagine that such a drastic change in your monthly cycle is causing you some concern, especially since you are used to being so regular.

There are many factors that can interfere with a woman's monthly cycle. Stress, diet, strenuous physical exercise, pregnancy, miscarriage, birth control, drug and alcohol usage, age and the state of your health can all be a cause.

I would suggest to you that you pay a visit to your health care provider. You may need to change your birth control pill, as it may be causing this. Are you taking any other kind of medication?

You should not be having such heavy periods, and so often, if you are taking your birth control pills as instructed. From what I'm reading, you are bleeding heavily almost two weeks out of the month. This is not normal (especially when taking birth control pills!) and needs further investigation by your health care provider.

You may simply need another method of birth control or there could be another as yet unknown concern. Please put a call in as soon as you can and update us!