I'm scared of urology

Hi, I was seen by my GYN and throughout the tests I had done I was told I have reoccurring urinary tract infection and kidney disease which is bothering me a lot and now I have appt. to see a urologist. I never been to a urologist before and the doctor I'm going to is a male doctor to. I'm mostly uncomfortable because of him examining me. I don't know where will he examine and this is what I'm embarrassed about. I want to know such issue I have and seeing such doctor what kind of examine they do? I really would like to know about what they do as first visit to. Please let me know about this soon.

Hi Melissa

Your best bet is to call your doctor's office to know in advance what to expect. We cannot tell you what to expect other than a physical exam, a talk and possible tests. Your doctor doesn't care whether you are male or female but you can request a female assistant to be there too.

Feel free to bring a friend or relative with you for support.

Thanks for letting me know. If they do exam are they anything painful?