I'm scared, what is this?

By May 10, 2015 - 9:45pm

Hi, I have a kind of issue and I'm not sure which doctor is the right doctor for me to go to. The problem is I have scoliosis and because of this I have sciatica. Two weeks ago I had MRI of my back done because my sciatica pain recently has become extreme and I also lifted something heavy by accident and I felt different in the area and that's why I had MRI done to know more about it. The results has lots of details but the main major problem is result is saying I have Hemangioma. I heard it's something benign though but I'm not sure why I have such thing? I don't feel right in ignoring this and don't nothing even though it's benign and I want to know what do you think I can do and which doctor would be the right doctor for me to go to? I'm only 31 years old and I'm afraid the problem of Hemangioma become more of a problem for me I really don't want to leave this alone. The other matter is it's been awhile I've been feeling light headed and very dehydrated no matter how much water I drink is not good enough and the time I had blood test done the woman told me your blood has thickened and when I got my results my blood oxygen content is saying that is low. Because of such issue could it be the reason I have Hemangioma? Please let me know more about this soon.

Hi Melissa

A hemangioma is a type of birthmark, usually on the head or neck, which appears shortly after birth, grows rapidly, and in most cases slowly disappears, usually before puberty. The mark is a cluster of blood vessels that form abnormally.

It is not known what causes hemangiomas to appear, grow, or disappear

The vast majority of hemangiomas are benign and resolve on their own. A large portion of the lesion typically disappears by age five with the vast majority gone by puberty. A small minority, however, may lead to complications. Large and/or rapidly growing hemangiomas may lead to ulceration, scarring, and disfigurement.

Treatment options include:

• Lasers—work best for superficial hemangiomas
  • Steroid drugs—preferably given locally by injection, but may be given orally for large or rapidly growing hemangiomas
  • Recombinant Interferon Alfa—a drug that affects the immune system, usually used when steroid drugs fail or cannot be used

So Melissa-  you have a birth mark. Maybe you never saw it before or it was there but has grown.  A dermatologist can help you out with this. 

As far as it been connected to your dehydration - that's not likely. 

Hi Sorry, I didn't explain it clearly. I had MRI done of my back because I have scoliosis and sciatica. My test result says this "The vertebral body at L5 is Hemangioma". This is a internal problem. This is what I meant to say to you. My doctor was telling me it's a benign tumor but I don't feel right ignoring this. I want to know what I should do and what doctor is best to see for such matter? I really need to know about this. Please me know soon.

You need to ask your doctor who to see. He will know this and give you a referral.

Thanks for letting me know.